• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by sc-xc.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Setting up a website – which online provider to use?
  • robbo1234biking

Wife is starting a business making cakes, running courses etc. She wants to get a website up and running which will include a shop type feature so that people can order and pay online or to book places on courses.

I have built websites in the past and I am confident I can do something using one of these online places like go daddy etc but just wondered what ones people would recommend? We don’t want a huge monthly cost clearly but do want it to look professional.

Any suggestions?

robbo1234biking

Any evening posters about with any recommendations?

reluctantlondoner

Squarespace. End of 🙂

leffeboy

Do squarespace handle a uk shop? They are nice if a bit squarespacey but usually looks good. Might be a bit pricey though

I have a few sites on go daddy and like them and they are cheap but then you will need to do more work to get something that looks as good as the Squarespace stuff

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

fasthost and wordpress be worth a look

nixie

Shopify?

allthegear
    Free Member

Shoplift or Squarespace. Anything else is too much effort and going to cost money.

Rachel

Alphabet

How about Opencart? I’ve built a couple of on line shops with it recently and it seems great. Especially as it’s free.

leffeboy

Shoplift or Squarespace

Should that possibly be shopify? Shoplift seems like an unfortunate name for an ecommerce platform 🙂

deets

I’ve used WordPress for a couple of sites. Am using it for https://peakpedalling.com at the moment – £85 per year for the domain name and hosting, plenty of options for tarting it up how you like it and whether you want a static front page or blog etc.

I’m using PayPal invoicing linked to a business account but it’s easy enough to include their buttons on your site to sell stuff. They’ll fleece you for a percentage however you do it, though that seems to be fairly standard…

wildc4rd
    Free Member

I set up a personal site with WIX, its quick and easy, there is support for an e-commerce end as well.

sc-xc

I tried Squarespace, and despite being reasonably ICT savvy…it wasn’t as intuitive as the adverts on podcasts suggest.

Wix, as above, was an absolute drag and drop joy.

Tom

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Setting up a website – which online provider to use?’ is closed to new replies.