Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Setting fork sag -Stand or Sit
  • joolsburger
    Free Member

If I sit on the bike correct sag comes at around 60psi which is way too low from a diving / bottoming perspective.

If I stand on the pedals ( the "attack position" crap phrase that) it's around 110 which seems way too hard.

I'm going to run around 85 which seems a sensible compromise or have I got it all wrong?

Pieface

IME sag is a pain to set – If I achieve sag when sitting on the bike I blow through the travel too quickly and find 25% too ambitious on forks less than 130mm – 10% more realistic IME

Pieface

Try 85, if it doesn't work adjust accordingly – its not an exact science, more trial and error FWIW

retro83
    Free Member

sag is only a starting point, 85 seems a good compromise

uplink
    Free Member

I always thought that setting the sag whilst in – MBR stylee – 'attack' position was the way to do it
    arse off the saddle leaning forward sort of stance

Onzadog
    Free Member

Both are viable methods as it's only a starting point. However, seated position os normally with 25% sag and th attack position is for 33% sag. I normally start with the attack position method and fine tune it with a zip tie or o-ring on the stanchion.

If I don't gte full travel on a Peaks ride, it's too firm. If I feel it bottom out harshly, it's too soft.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dunno, magura's have a very fine line between overly firm and wayy too wallowy. So I just set it about right then took a shock pump out and played about 5psi at a time untill it felt right.

Static sag should be set in the "attack" position (I hate that phrase too). Most people/bikes seem to be set up with nowhere near enough sag, how is 10% sag going to give you any more grip thana rigid fork, you'd have to hit 10G to bottom them out!?

woodsman
    Free Member

Sit – read the manual!

Olly
    Free Member

closer to stand.
    **** the manual.
    if i put mine on 25% sitting, i blow right through the travel, its just veyr plush for climbing sitting down (which is as good as useless)

25% at riding position, if your riding sitting down, your gay (in the rubbish sense, not the homosexual sense)

i run mine a bit hard still, so i can ride harder but still feel supported.

pretty close to the rockshox reccomended pressures actually (which i initially thought were way out)

coffeeking
    Free Member

Agreed, **** the manual – do it standing. I transfer enough weight over the front when standing/descending to eat up half my travel when I use set to 20% when sitting. I always set rear sag when sat though as I feel it gives better ascending performance.

martinxyz
    Free Member

but maybe you could ride harder if you had it softer.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I see I'm not alone in this. I'm a big guy and if I have 20% sag when sitting I'm around 60% sag when standing on the pedals, if I'm going downhill as well I'm basically on rigid forks.

Thing is set the forks up for standing = almost no small bump compliance but then I suppose that's the price of pies!

uplink
    Free Member

Sit – read the manual!

We need to have this fella gender tested 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Setting fork sag -Stand or Sit’ is closed to new replies.