Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Setting Brompton wheel/tyres up as tubeless??
  • psychle
    Free Member

Could it be done? I'm wondering if the electrical tape/half-tube ghetto style method could be used?

Sick and tired of my wife getting punctures (it's always her, never me, what's that all about??), I always have to fix them due to the inherent faff of taking a Brompton wheel off!

What do you reckon, could one setup a Brompton wheelset to be tubeless and self sealing? All thoughts and suggestions welcomed 🙂

cheers chaps 8)

Stoner
    Free Member

100psi.

I reckon it's pinch flats. Its hard unweighting a brompton, and hitting the sharp edge of a pot hole full tilt will haveyou on the rim if you dont have enough air in the tube.

They also ride so much quicker with more air in.

psychle
    Free Member

the tyres I'm using recommend 60psi max…? punctures don't look like pinch flats (they're little holes, not little slits if that makes sense?) I've checked the tyre wall for foreign objects, nothing in there that I can find, and yet she just keeps getting punctures! She only weighs 50kg, I weigh 90kg and hardly get any 🙄

grumm
    Free Member

Not sure I would like to use ghetto tubeless with road bike pressures – could be nasty if it went pop.

psychle
    Free Member

fair point… didn't think of that (though would keep pressure around 60psi still)

Stoner
    Free Member

http://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html#pressure

Most tires have a "maximum" pressure, or a recommended pressure range marked on the side of the tire. These pressure ratings are established by the tire manufacturers after consultation with the legal and marketing departments.
    The legal department wants the number kept conservatively low, in case the tire gets mounted on a defective or otherwise loose fitting rim. They commonly shoot for half of the real blow-off pressure.

Live a little! 😉

psychle
    Free Member

OK then… but just in case I die, my relatives will be made aware of this thread 😉 😆

geoffj
    flamejob
    Free Member

Whang some of the 'new' green Brompton tyres on and stick 100 in the rear and 90psi in the front. Or fit Marathons.

I have found you need to check the tyres once a week; haven't had a puncture in 2 years.

Midnighthour
    Free Member

It sounds like you might both have Bromptons? If so, swap bikes for a bit and see if its a technical issue specific to one bike. Could also be the route that bike travels on. Some routes are plastered in broken glass etc.

T1000
    Free Member

try 'stans' inside tubes and then inflated them up to the maximum on the tyres on the brompton, which seems to work well.

I've found the Schwalbe marathons more robust than the brompton tyres

Finkill

Id agree that its probs pinch flats and would fit some Brompton Kevlar or Marathon tyres. 100psi each end and you shouldnt have any further problems.

psychle
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice chaps, sounds like a natch on the tubeless idea…

I like the advice of swapping bikes for a bit (and you're right, could be a route specific thing – I ride mine randomly around London whereas she tends to ride the same route to work each day… and then random riding on the weekends)

Shall try pumping some more PSI for starters, then if this doesn't work will upgrade the tyres to Marathons or Brompton Greens (though the tyres on both bikes are fairly new 🙁 ) Wonder if I could fit some of those 'tyre belt' thingos between the tube and the tyre wall?

steve_b77
    Free Member

It might sound crazy but are the holes in the side of the tube that touches the rim?

Rim tape could be knackered

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Setting Brompton wheel/tyres up as tubeless??’ is closed to new replies.