Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Servicing SPD pedals- M520 in particular
  • jamesb
    Free Member

is this possible? bearings on M520 pedal now quite wobbly, guess I need to remove entire axle unit from body but aren`t they roller bearings? Will a special tool be required? Re cheaper SPDs with end cap I take it they would be simpler and just require a couple of spanners to remove cones , anyone know spanner sizes?
    ta

the-muffin-man

At £19.99 for a new set they are hardly worth bothering to service. I normally run my 520’s till they are nearly dead.

Jase
    Free Member

IIRC there is a little plastic tool required.

Dickyboy

Little plastic tool & some tiddly spanners – there is also a very dull but useful video on youtube that’ll show you how it’s done. If your pedals are wobbly you may have left it too late – I just undo mine & ram em full of grease everynow & again

ivantate
    Free Member

i bought a new set online for £12.50 with freepost not so long ago, not really worth servicing as they dont seem geat when new. (my feet stick in them)

MrOvershoot

Have 4 sets of 520’s that have been running for years. I do have the plastic removal tool though.
    Once a year or thereabouts pull the inner gubbins out and flush with solvent. take up any free play with the cup cone locknuts then fill the pedal body with new grease. As you thread the spindle gubbins back in the new grease will force through the gubbins and fred’s you sisters 1/2 cousin (or something like that)
    That took me longer to type than it takes to do! (Dickywhatsisname said it slightly more succinct than I did)

BTW if you cant get your feet out of 520’s on max setting you have weedy legs 😉

cynic-al
    Free Member

can last forever if you look after them.

Today’s disposable generation….

jamesb
    Free Member

cheers thanks for that MrOvershoot…Ill give it a go, I dont really like the throw away aspect of so much modern kit either

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Servicing SPD pedals- M520 in particular’ is closed to new replies.