Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Servicing Magura forks – any tips to increase compression damping?
  • GavinB

Been having a good ol' fettle this weekend on my Wotans in between rides, and have got them working pretty nicely, but still not fully happy with the compression damping, and would appreciate some help.

So, I've got the FCR working nicely, rebound as well with 15wt race suspension fluid. I've got the pos/neg air running equal pressures, but they still seem to be going through the first 3/4 of travel pretty quick.

So, does anyone have any tips for slowing down the compression slightly?

Macavity
    Free Member
    jules.b
    Free Member

Try experimenting with a more viscous suspension fluid, like 20 or 30wt..you can always back off the rebound adjustment. Works for my Menjas!

GavinB

Cheers Jules.

I have not bothered posting on the Magura forum as it is not really all that helpful – all anyone tells you is to send your forks back in to Magura UK Service centre!! And don't even dare to ask the actual 'real world' weights of their SuspensionBlood fluid.

I've used 15wt in the damping leg, with some 5wt in both lowers and in the air chamber. Re-serviced them yesterday as I found another guide somewhere that had more information on fluid levels in the legs – I hadn't put quite enough back in, so the Albert Select wasn't working straight away on compression.

So, do you reckon on slightly heavier weight again?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

heavier oil will increase damping

joolsburger
    Free Member

Do you not have Albert select on the Wotans?? I just dial in a bit of compression damping with that. As this

What the heck is an Albert Select?
    It is an easy two part adjuster that lets you dial the forks compression platform to the terrain, whether it is a certain trail that you are riding or just one section where you would benefit from a different setting. The gold inner dial (Albert) lets you dial in the amount of platform or compression damping that will be activated when you turn the blue (Select) dial to the On position. When the Select dial is open the fork is fully active and ready for action, a 1/4 turn to the right activates your chosen albert setting, whether that is a touch stiffer or fully locked out. In simple terms you are blocking the flow of the damping oil. Less oil flow equals more compression damping.

GavinB

Yup, been playing around with the AS but not sure I like using it for descents. It really seems to hold up the low speed compression, so holds up to small hits, then blows through on high speed compression – drops, berms.

I guess what I'm after is less low speed compression, so it copes well with fast, rocky descents, then a fair amount of high speed for bigger drops.

Would increasing oil weight not affect both low and high speed, also slowing rebound damping?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Would increasing oil weight not affect both low and high speed, also slowing rebound damping?

Yes it will

GavinB

Thought so – guess I might have to experiment a little more with this one.

Rather frustrating lack of information on these forks on the web. Compared to RS, where a quick google will give you a pdf of the full service instructions complete with all oil weights, tuning tips etc, whereas Magura forks are too 'advanced' to let any mere mortals open them up, let alone know what weight suspension oil they use. Does seem a little weird.

jules.b
    Free Member

What Tandemjeremy said…plus double check on the oil that you are using in the lowers and oil chamber. Magura are really unhelpful and won't tell you what suspension blood type 5 is. I tried suspension fluid but got better results with synthetic motor oil. It seems closer in consistency to the original, gives less stiction, and lasts longer in the air chamber. Anyone else got any ideas?

joolsburger
    Free Member

Wotans use 5wt standard in the damping chamber. lookey here

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Magura-Wotan-review-2008.html

joolsburger
    Free Member

I used a bit of float fluid in the lower legs and about 5cc of the same in the air chamber is around 45 wt I'm told.

Getting the right pressure seems to be the key they recommend 80 I use 90 and seems fine. Nice and supple uses full travel doesn't dive more than other forks.

GavinB

Mmm, I started working on them as they seemed to dive through the first 3/4 of travel, then ramp up very quickly from there.

I also cleaned and lubed the wiper seals with some Rock n Roll slick grease and the reduction in stiction is incredible – they move sooo much smoother on the initial stroke. Still to hit the perfect spot for air pressure and oil weight though.

5 wt in the damping chamber sounds pretty light – I guess I'll run the 15 wt for a few rides and see how I get on.

Cheers for the heads up!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Servicing Magura forks – any tips to increase compression damping?’ is closed to new replies.