Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Servicing Fox floats?
  • stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Looked at a couple of videos and it looks fairly straightforward. One suggests using a drift to loosen the lowers and the other suggests loosening the nut off and then giving it a whack with the socket still on the nut. The first video suggests this can damage the nut. Has anybody managed to damage it or got any suggestions for an improvised drift?

Davesport

Well, I service my own TALAS’s and use the “Whack the socket” method. I back the nut off one full turn then hit the socket with a leather mallet. I might have to do this more than once to get the shafts to disengage from the lowers. I personally don’t think hitting the bottom of the shaft with a copper drift, piece of wood etc is a clever idea.

I’ve had the lowers off a couple of times a year for the last five years and the threads are still in prime nick.

D.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Pretty much what Davesport says, no issues with distorted threads, just don’t back the nut off too far.

coatesy
    Free Member

I’ve used both methods without problems, but i’d recommend removing the crush washer before hitting the nut, as once the joint is broken, and the shaft is free to turn, the whole lot can rotate if the crush washer is binding, and there’s very little to grip to stop it happening. I’ve also found supporting the brace with my foot (bike upside down on the floor, obviously) when knocking the shafts in is far more successful than letting the suspension compress and absorb most of the impact.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Just don’t hit it really hard, serviced my floats a few times without damage or problem.

bigyinn
    Free Member

The damper / push rod is only an interference fit in the lowers, so a couple of smart taps with a hammer on the end of the nut will suffice. Undo the nut so there is a mm or 2 gap first and then undo it a bit more if needed. Once you’ve moved the rod it’ll be easy.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Cheers everybody. Out of interest, there’s a bit of play in the forks and I’m wondering if the bushings might be worn or if it’s just the old seals but will I be able to see if the bushing are worn when I have them apart? What am I looking for?

bigyinn
    Free Member

The bushings are probably worn, rather than the seals.
    Cost to do it is about £100ish for Loco to do it properly

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Servicing Fox floats?’ is closed to new replies.