Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sertraline for symptoms of depression
  • SaxonRider

What is it like as a drug, and what is the likelihood of listed side effects? How long can side effects last for, and once they ease up, do you end up feeling ‘normal’ but better than you had before taking it?

Can it have a negative effect on physical activity like riding?

I know these questions will lead to pretty subjective answers, but I am always disconcerted before taking unfamiliar pharmaceuticals. The most important thing I would want to know is: is it genuinely effective, and once you start, do you just stabilise and then come off it?

Any advice/comments appreciated.

willard

Soon to be ex-wife is/was taking it. I thought it worked for her, but the short time she was on it before she started drinking again meant that it was difficult to see any improvement in the latter stages of treatment.

I genuinely have no idea if she is still taking it. She’s signed off work still, so I am assuming that the GP is still giving it to her. She’s still drinking on it, which is monumentally stupid.

BoardinBob

I was on 50mg for anxiety.

First couple of weeks were a bit of a roller coaster emotionally. Often felt like grabbing random strangers in the street and crying.

Once that settled down it was absolutely fine. Helped enormously with my anxiety. It did send my appetite through the roof though.

Coming off I had the same roller coaster couple of weeks as I dropped the dosage.

Been off it for almost a year now and feel great. Overall a very positive experience for me.

SaxonRider

It did send my appetite through the roof though.

How did you deal with that? Did you gain weight, or were you able to fight the urges?

BoardinBob

How did you deal with that? Did you gain weight, or were you able to fight the urges?

treklee
    Free Member

As written above, I’ve been on a few, and they all seem to make me eat, -lots-. I’ve got knee surgery on Monday, and can decide whether or not to keep taking them whilst I’m off work and the bikes.

aracer
    Free Member

Hmm, having been wondering about trying meds again, I think maybe I’ll pass. I’m not convinced something which might help alleviate the symptoms is a good idea if it’s just going to introduce something else to make me more depressed!

user-removed
    Free Member

Side effects; horrific dhiorrea, slight dislocation from reality, not much else.

Mine were prescribed after overcoming a drink problem. If your brain is chemically imbalanced, the drugs may do you a power of good. I’d suggest starting with your soul though.

vickypea
    Free Member

Hi there. I’ve tried various SSRIs in the past: fluoxetine, sertraline, citalopram, escitalopram.
    Side effects vary between individuals, as does the efficacy. Also, some side effects wear off with time (eg, initial anxiety, dizziness, drowsiness), whereas others only stop when you stop taking the drug. As a rule of thumb, it can take a month to tell whether you’re getting any benefit, and for some side effects to settle down, and then it’s often recommended that you continue to take them for six months or so before stopping.
    I’m tapping on my iPhone at the moment, but I’ll send you a message if you want to know any more from my experience.
    By the way, I didn’t put on weight with any of them.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sertraline for symptoms of depression’ is closed to new replies.