• This topic has 43 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Marin.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Serenity – on now Film4
  • Earl
    Free Member

Soooo good!

JohnnyPanic

‘Likes’

peterfile
    Free Member

I love that film
    ..but would be keen to hear the opinion of those who’ve seen the film but didn’t watch the series. I sometimes wonder whether I liked the film because of how the series ended?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I saw the film first, some of it didn’t make sense. After I’d seen the series and watched it again, it made a lot more sense

Shiny

oldnpastit

I saw the film, then the series. Both are good. The film feels more coherent (I think some of the series episodes ended up being aired out-of-order which could account for that).

user-removed
    Free Member

Turned over after 20 mins to watch Solaris. Just totally didn’t get it.

GrahamS

Ooh ta. Just in time to record it on Film4+1

scotroutes

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m watching it but it’s lost on me I’m afraid 😕

kimbers

Its worth watching the series first

The charachters get to grow on you a lot more, still an absolute crime that they axed the series

Saying that I’m working my way thru joss whedons breakthrough show….. I’m up to season4 of buffy and its Up and down

jimjam
    Free Member

A guy I used to work with was a fan of the tv show and insisted we went to see it in the cinema. I fell asleep about half way through. Trying to watch it again tonight but to be honest it seems like drivel.

Earl
    Free Member

There was so much material they could have ran with – if it wasn’t dropped!!!!!!!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm may try and Lovefilm this shit, Walking Dead and GoT about to run out.

teasel
    Free Member

Pointless without watching the series IMO.

Very good film with a very good handful of episodes accompanied by a great theme tune and incidental score. Good SFX, too.

And WTF do those Reavers use as fuel? – anything they can get their hands on, I’m thinking…

chewkw
    Free Member

Luckily Predators is on … 😛

BobaFatt
    Free Member

Have the series to watch on Netflix as I’m allegedly missing out

Watched Serenity a few years back and it made no sense whatsoever so I’ll watch the series first this time. It’s all subjective but I’ve been here before with people telling me that certain shows are a must watch, but then I get the copy that’s missing the rose tinted specs

nickc

rivals Battlestar Galatica for use of the hokey-est use of made up slang/swear words. Blakes 7 made by Americans.

allthepies
    Free Member

Not seen the series so went into the film blind.

Thought it was crap, switched off after 20 mins.

#IAmMarkKermode

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I lasted about 15 minutes. It was utter shite, and that was nothing to do with not seeing a series beforehand.

footflaps

I thought the TV series was less interesting than the film. Lost interest in the series mid way and not gone back to finish it.

kimbers

nickc – Member
    rivals Battlestar Galatica for use of the hokey-est use of made up slang/swear words

not made up, they are swearing in chinese

z1ppy

Only caught the end of the film.. but had to sit and watch it. I love Serenity and firefly, irreverent fun & sci-fi!

Northwind

I liked when a lot of the reviews said “It’s just a really long episode of the TV series” and all the fans went “woohoo!” It was supposed to be a critisism I think…

Loved it though. A lot of great moments across the series and film.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Started watching it last night, found the story lame, the acting poor and the effects middling, so turned it off. Life is too short for mediocre TV.

nickc

not made up, they are swearing in chinese

mostly…but Gorrum grates after a while like Frack does…

brakes
    Free Member

Blakes 7 made by Americans.

my thoughts exactly, just reminded me of noddy 80s low-fi sci-fi without the retro excuses.

Northwind

nickc – Member

mostly…but Gorrum grates after a while like Frack does…

Think that’s a bit harsh- it’s a nod to westerns, rather than swear filter avoidance.

PrinceJohn

Like a leaf on the breeze

nickc

Think that’s a bit harsh- it’s a nod to westerns

…And there’s the other huge elephant in the room, the whole civil war/western schtick. Really clunky.

Not Whedon’s finest moment

toby1

It’s shocking how many people on the internet don’t realise they are wrong 😉

Northwind

@nickc, you seem to dislike “gorram” both because it’s made up silly swearing and because it’s not 😆

bikebouy
    Free Member

Who was the girl who said “the only action i’ve had in ages is battery powered” ?

Think she was the Mechanic or summit.

Cute..

samunkim
    Free Member

“Goin’ on a year now I ain’t had nothin’ twixt my nethers weren’t running on batteries

LoLs

john_drummer
    Free Member

<trivia alert>

1) the actress who played the mechanic (Kayleigh?) – Jewel Staite – is also in later episodes of Stargate Atlantis

2) in the Battlestar Galactica pilot/film, when Laura Roslin (sp?) is waiting for her cancer diagnosis, the camera pans up to the skylight. There’s a Firefly class ship coming in to land

</trivia>

philstone

Kaylee… Jewel Staite – she is very cute…

Agree with most comments – watched the film, fell asleep half way through – watched the series, loved it, watched the film again and loved it!

nickc

you seem to dislike “gorram” both because it’s made up silly swearing and because it’s not

it’s a made up word. I dislike them (in the same way as Frack) because it’s writers trying to be sweary but without having the balls to actually be sweary. like say…using bastardised chinese…It’s embarrassing, pointless, and most damning of all; obvious. If you want your characters to swear then write in swear words…sloppy and lazy, as was the use of left of costumes and sets from old western movies. Like using Cardiff as your stage-set because you’re trying to do it on the cheap.

jools182
    Free Member

I’m with deadlydarcy

load of dog eggs

samunkim
    Free Member

Given that a large percentage of the world is using chinese at the moment, wouldnt you expect a film set in the future to reflect this.

Look at English

Northwind

nickc – Member

it’s a made up word

Yeah, but it isn’t is it? That’s the point, it’s “god damn” with a massive john wayne drawl on it.

nickc

Given that a large percentage of the world is using chinese at the moment, wouldnt you expect a film set in the future to reflect this.

A large percentage of the world isn’t using Chinese at the moment, most Han chinese speak a form of cantonese, and write using largely pinyin (simplified chinese) based characters. That’s one cultural group of people. there maybe ‘a lot’ of them, but that’s not the same thing.

But it misses the point. The use of chinese and made up swear words in programmes like Firefly and BG is not there because of some nod towards a future culture; it’s there to get around US censorship. Mainstream TV in the USA Can/Must Not Offend. So writers get around it by making them up, It’s not like the chinese swearing in Firefly is even that bad ( i looked up one ages ago, and it was something like “You have a face like a baboon”) which is in of itself a sort of cultural racism (using chinese for just swearing, watched by an audience of mainstream westerners) Which for a person like Whedon must have tied him in all sorts of knots, and all so pointless and childish, and cowardly.

Make like Yoda “Do, or Do Not”

hateful

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Serenity – on now Film4’ is closed to new replies.