Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • semi-skimmed surly karate monkey – come on snow where are you ;-)
  • firestarter
    Free Member

after waiting ages for the post the tyres finally arrived but the snow has gone it they took so long. but they fit great, so come on sky bring on the snow 😉

wtb weirwolf 29er 2.55 next to the 26er 3.0 nokians

woody2000

Liking that Mick 🙂

ton

nice mick.
    but you should see the size of my bontrager fr 29r treadz…… 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

cheers, tony what size are those . biggest id seen were the weirwolf 2.55 tho they were very good in fairly deep snow at 10 psi

woody2000

Scuse my ignorance Mick, is that a 29er frame with 26″ wheels then? What rims are they? Ta!

Inspired to build something similar….:-)

firestarter
    Free Member

yes mate its a 29er normally but they are the wheels from my other bike just a bit of a tester really the rims are xm321 but ideally id like wider but for a cheap test they fit great and with the huge tyres there isnt very much difference between the 29er outer diameter and the 26 ones

SSBonty
    Free Member

Hmm, are those nokian gazalodi 3″ tyres? Was going to run one up front on a 26er with a 2.7 or something on the back, might now see if they both fit in my 29er… What size 29er tyres can you normally fit in the KM? I can just get some Panaracer Rampage 2.35 (though I think they are pretty big for a 2.35) in the back of a Fisher Ferrous… And do they lower the height or are they the same height as the weirwolfs you took off (hard to see from the pics)?

SSBonty
    Free Member

Oh and we have 50cms of snow here in Helsinki, you’re welcome to pop over and take some home!

letmetalktomark

Looking 8)

How low (psi wise) can you go running 21mm rims?

firestarter
    Free Member

yes the gazzas mate , not sure what you can normally fit as they say fatties fit fine. my 2.55 29ers had loads of space for bigger. they do lower the height a bit maybe an inch ? with the tyres fitted they were about an inch smaller in diameter (tho that was with the 2.55s on if i had my 2.2 bonty 29er they are prob very similar in size.

bonus tho would be better standover in deep snow i guess 😉 and id love some of yours now lol

ive just ridden up and down and around local without the snow to test it and had 10psi in and seemed fine i might stick another little bit in the rear for may fat a55 tho i will test more in the snow

firestarter
    Free Member

actually ssbonty its about 1/2 inch lower as its only half the size difference ie hub to floor isnt it

SSBonty
    Free Member

Yeah just had a play with some bits and it looks like I’ll lose about 1/2″ ride height going from 2.35 Rampages to 3″ 26″ gazzas… only problem is the tyre is now slightly in the ‘wrong’ place in the fox forks, with the widest part of the tyre where the slightly narrower bit of the fork crown is. I have some Pace rigid forks but they are a fair bit shorter than the fox, and the ferrous has a sharp angled headtube and is twitchy as it is, and slooow steering in snow is good… we’ll see. New snow pretty much every other day over xmas and new year, must get this sorted!

stevemakin

interested to see this as I’ve just committed to a KM which I’m going to run a 3.7 Surly in the front with a Pugsley 100mm fork and a Dura 3.0 in the back on a Halo 45mm rim, kind of a chubby bike to experiment with low pressures and big tyres.

Of course this is all leading to an inevitable Puglsey purchase 🙂

coastkid
    Free Member

KM & Pug tyre widths 🙂

cheviots,cannon 005 by coastkid71, on Flickr

firestarter
    Free Member

not strictly a fair comparison coastkid here is my 3.0 nokian next to my 2.55 weirwolf

epicyclo

If you are experimenting with 29ers for a semifatbike, you don’t have to worry about unfavourable geometry changes with them.

I’ve measured some tyres.

Racing Ralph and Panaracer Rampage come in at 59-62mm on Kris Holm 47mm rims depending on pressure. RR marginally wider, measurement made on the casing. Tread presents a squarer aspect on this rim, and diameter is about 5mm less than on the Salsa rim.

On a Salsa Delgado 29er rim (30mm) the RR is 61mm at 30psi. A Duro 26×3″ on a 40mm rim is 72mm – haven’t tried it on anything narrower.

Although the 29ers are narrower tyres, the contact area may approach the size of a 3″ Duro because they will be longer. (I haven’t done an ink impression yet.) They are much lighter. However I would be more confident about running the Duro at lower pressures.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘semi-skimmed surly karate monkey – come on snow where are you ;-)’ is closed to new replies.