Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Semi literate notices at work.
  • Our head office is in Scotland, so we get the occasional “outwith” in our internal notices, which is a bit of a rarity down here.
    Some stuff doesn’t make much sense in any dialect though.
    You’d think that somewhere between the concept and the printing, someone would have looked at this and thought, “Let’s rewrite it in plain English”.

Anyone else got any ?

grantway
    Free Member

Believe it or not sometimes you just have to say the obvious
    Sad isn’t it !!

mogrim

Alas, between the concept and the printing falls the shadow.

The current notice at work exhorting us to maintain the urinal flusher button pressed for a whole minute is irritating, though. Apparently it’s “for our health”, though quite who would be drinking from a urinal is a mystery to me. Alternatively, they could just fix the flush mechanism.

cranberry
    Free Member

My organisation recruits from 35 countries, 34 of which don’t have English as a first language. They still wouldn’t create something that bad.

alpin
    Free Member

i worked at M&S whilst at college as a trolley & bag boy. in my spare time – of which i had lots – i’d go around with a red marker pen correcting the spelling and grammar on the staff notices.

i got a warnimg once from my manager because i had corrected her bosses notice and had been caught on camera.

each time her boss saw me after that i’d smirk at her.

codybrennan
    Free Member

Maybe not quite in the same vein, but a few years ago this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/01/thus_cw_challenger_disaster/

happened where I work.

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever who sent the photo in:)

hautgrimpeur
    Free Member

That’s irony – yes?

samuri
    Free Member

We used to have a fascilities manager who would send out some messages in text speak and others with such a variety of grammatical and spelling errors in, it was hard to understand what she was going on about.

But the one that has stuck in my mind for around ten years now was along the lines of….

“There is a perturbing piece of wire in the rear car park, please watch your step”

It certainly had me worried. (I think she meant protruding)

samuri
    Free Member

Oh, and this one at my current place of work (sorry for the poor photo).

cleaning staffs by Jon Wyatt, on Flickr

project
    Free Member

Doing my aprenticeship, a lecturer drew a large circle round a black hot casting just knocked out of the sand casting box, he wrote OT next to it, one of our fellow students, said whats OT mean and proceeded to pick up the HOT casting, he got burnt.

iDave
    Free Member

at least they can spell facilities 😉

Kato

This beauty was in the corridor the other day

Cougar

I have a theory.

Once of a time, professional signwriters corrected their customers’ requests. They eventually got so sick of halfwits bellowing “that’s not what I ordered” that they now print exactly what is asked of them, irrespective of how stupid it is. Then at least if they get complaints they can go “well, look.”

BlobOnAStick

“Caution scolding water” printed large on notices above each sink in the Gents.

I washed my hands very thoroughly, but quickly, as a result.

matt_outandabout

A high percentage of my staff (and across the industry) are dyslexic – I must remember this next time I ask a certain member of staff to re-label the racks, bags etc in the kit store.

High Ropes Resque Bag is still written across the rucksack a year later….

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Bargain! How much for two?!

samuri
    Free Member

at least they can spell facilities

😉

Cougar

Also,

I think you mean “semi-literate.”

HTH.

(-:

project
    Free Member

Kato, the small non sexualised generic person on the plastic a board has no shoes , feet, handsor even a name badge.

Pieface

Our heating failed at work. It was due to a leek in the pump. I bet the plumber was surprised.

GrahamS

Not a sign as such, but I give you:

Cougar

That must either be intentional or dyslexia.

GrahamS

That must either be intentional or dyslexia.

Neither sadly. Just Gateshead.

BigJohn

i worked at M&S whilst at college as a trolley & bag boy. in my spare time – of which i had lots – i’d go around with a red marker pen correcting the spelling and grammar on the staff notices.

i got a warnimg once from my manager because i had corrected her bosses notice and had been caught on camera.

9 red marks needed there.

molgrips
    Free Member

of which i had lots

At least he knows not to dangle his prepositions though.

It was due to a leek in the pump.

This is bloody funny, I am still chuckling 🙂

skiboy
    Free Member

I can’t wait until the morning, the signs at work are quality product , mass of poor spelling 😀

One of the project engineer’s spelling is so bad he we had to pull him up on it, the customers business is worth 2.5m per annum and he is the first point of contact, they were livid 👿 I just wish I could publish the email hehe

wallop

I make it 10 red marks needed.

wallop

Actually, maybe 11.

Northwind

Had a little giggle at the No Fuss Endurance DH race, after I noticed the race number boards had spelled it “Endrance”

GrahamS

On a similar note, Kenda had giant ad banners at SITS that said:

“Kenda Tires”

Does it? Well probably best to avoid them then.
    Perhaps not the best cultural confusion to make at a 24hr race.

brooess
    Free Member

The internet, helping stupid people advertise their stupidity to the entire world since 1994 (or thereabouts)

To give you a warning for correcting a senior person’s incorrect grammar is just immature and a sign of poor management and culture. Shame they didn’t thank you for improving the quality of their communications. On the other hand, was the warning for your own poor grammar? 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    Oh, and this one at my current place of work (sorry for the poor photo).

still no locker then 😉

wee-al
    Free Member

Man, that buy one one get free properly tickled me.

At my old job there was a sign with an arrow pointing at a “valve for realising”. Used to make me smile every time, seemed exestential in a comedic way.

Xylene
    Free Member

In the wife’s Moo Ban (village) in Bangkok there is a life support truck for when you get knocked off your motor bike.

It reads on the the back

Live Subsport – I will surely want to watch curling when I’m lying dying on the road.

globalti
    Free Member

Not quite the same but in a similar vein we had an MD – he didn’t last long – who once got his secretary to send a memo round to every member of staff about wastage and the amount of rubbish like pens, rulers, Tipp-ex and other crap in their desk drawers. This memo about wastage was written on a word-processor then printed on two pages with the second page having just the three last lines.

marco
    Free Member

wee-al
    Just read that whilst having a slurp of coffee – ended up with a big coffee/snot dangler out of my nose.
    Still laughing now, think thats the best thing i ever read

jimification
    Free Member

Sorry, don’t have a photo of it but a market stall in Horsham last Christmas offered:-

Ladie’s Perfume

and…it seems a bit unsporting (not to mention OT) to start posting bad translations (“Engrish”) but this is one of my favourites….

maccruiskeen

At an edinburgh housing estate where I was filming a few years ago “No Ball Games Prohibited”

AngusWells

When setting up a local rival to Ikea always check that your chosen trendy name really translates properly and reflects the product you are flogging:

theteaboy
    Free Member

Don’t have a photo of it but there was a sign in Dentdale that said:

Slow

Lams on’t rode

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Semi literate notices at work.’ is closed to new replies.