Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Selling yourself…
  • mrwhyte
    Free Member

At interview.

Had some feedback yesterday from an interview, they said my CV and references were excellent, and just what they wanted to see. They however did not think I sold myself confidently enough.

The trouble is, I do not have loads of self confidence, and I really struggle with being selfish and taking credit for things.

Have any here had or got similar problems? and how have you overcome them with interview situations?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some hints I got was around the way you say things, forget all the part of, helped to, team that did it. It needs to be lead, delivered, made happen etc.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

cheers. I did end up saying ‘we’ a lot yesterday, instead of I. I do not think that helped.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah, I’m the same but you have to take on another persona in that regard. Mind you it’s a fine line between confidence and obnoxiousness and that line shifts dependent on the interviewer. Personally when I’ve done interviews I’ve noticed it’s always the overly confident people that fall down quickly when it comes to the technical questions (and they’ve already built up expectations by then so I’m less likely to be forgiving of interview nerves making their minds go blank).

To me the quiet person that doesn’t claim to have changed the world single-handedly but obviously knows their stuff technically is a far better fit for the team and company than Mr thinks-they-now-it-all who’s ego doesn’t allow them to ask others for help/advice who ends up screwing something up. But equally I can see in some teams you need a louder more confident voice to fit in.

gobuchul
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPKhhne8mCs[/video]

wallop

Don’t beat yourself up. Everyone is different and there isn’t enough room in the world for the egos of widespread confidence. Not all roles require that level of self-promotion and if you’re the right person for the job then your modesty shouldn’t hold you back. If a potential employer doesn’t see that then in my opinion they aren’t smart recruiters.

All the best teams have a mix of thinking styles and working preferences. There’s a role for everyone.

funkmasterp

Well said Wallop. I’m the same as you OP I really dislike selling myself, makes me cringe a bit to be honest.

Sundayjumper

And I bet if you always said “I” instead of “we” you’d get marked down for not being a team player !

thecaptain
    Free Member

They are idiots or else they are lying to avoid hurting your feelings.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

did you write notes on subjects they are likely to ask?

I prepared several pages of notes on various topics so that I would not have to think up answers on the fly.

It worked.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I’m the same, I say “we” and not “I” and I’m a better listener than talker – I’m the polar opposite of what I’m “supposed” to be like in my line of work – technical sales, but I’m very good at what I do.

I can put an act on sometimes, but it doesn’t come naturally, I rely on credibility rather than bravado.

I’d had interview before and been told I wasn’t forthright enough, didn’t “fill the room” and all that – they say I wasn’t right and I have to agree with them – if that’s how that employer works, I wouldn’t work well there.

tjagain

Dunno what sort of work the interview was for but to me it sounds like you dodged a bullet. If the interviewer cant see the personal qualities in yo that they want / wants something you don’t have then its not the employer for you

mrwhyte
    Free Member

P-Jay, I am exactly the same in terms of listening and relying on credibility. I am a head of department at a challenging school, and I am very good at what I do, I just do not like telling others about it. I just kind of get on with things.

Not too sure if they thought I may not be able to deal with behaviour etc. which is ridiculous. Like you say tjagain, I may have dodged a bullet. I could have ended up working with loads of extroverts who just like to tell everyone else what they have done and how good they are. nightmare!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Selling yourself…’ is closed to new replies.