Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Selling privately off of eBay…
  • tomzo
    Free Member

Selling a camera on eBay with a buy it now/best offer rather than auction.

A buyer has messaged me to say they’ll give me £400 for it (£40 under the buy it now) – which they can do privately off of eBay (still through PayPal) so I don’t pay eBay fees. Win win for both of us.

The buyers got good feedback and has been a member of ebay for a few years so looks legit…

Am I missing a trick here? Can’t see how it’s any different to selling to a forum member for instance, but just not feeling 100% as ebays involved…

Any advice welcome…

leegee

I’d do it if you are meeting in person and receiving cash.
    I’ve sold and bought like that several times no issue.

bruneep

Done this previously both ways. What is their feedback like ( no guarantee I know ) is it all low cost selling/purchases. Ask for a phone no and proof of address I still do transaction via PP or cash not been scammed yet……

Its all about your 1st instinct, I’ve walked from a couple of sales, just because.

weeksy

Non issue. Done it many times for many items

dirtyrider
    Free Member

£40 less than the BIN price is only win for the buyer, your still getting the same £

xico
    Free Member

No problem, done it lots of times. Just make sure your PayPal payment isn’t what used to be called ‘gift’ and make sure you describe the item fully when you make payment. You then have 100% protection.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I was gonna say the same. eBay fee’s with Paypal are 10%. he wins, tell him to split the difference or just go through eBay.

footflaps

You then have 100% protection.

I thought that only applied to the buyer?

Muke
    Free Member

A buyer has messaged me to say they’ll give me £400 for it (£40 under the buy it now) – which they can do privately off of eBay (still through PayPal) so I don’t pay eBay fees.

I know nobody cares and it happens a lot, items are suddenly “no longer available due to listing error” but is this not against Ebay rules ?

oldtalent
    Free Member

Do plenty of deals off ebay, face to face & cash only though. I wouldnt do it outside & still use paypal, but then I have trust issues.

tomzo
    Free Member

I was gonna say the same. eBay fee’s with Paypal are 10%. he wins, tell him to split the difference or just go through eBay.

This is true, ultimately he benefits the most…but I make the sale and get the amount I wanted for the item.

Feedback of the seller is good – mix of items purchased/sold and has sold some high priced items so looks genuine.

If he pays via PayPal goods and services then it should be ok.

Might leave for it a few days and see if anybody Buys it Now or makes a suitably good offer.

Thanks for the advice all.

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

If he pays via Paypal and there’s no postage info, could it be charged back somehow? I have dealt outside eBay but it’s been strictly cash or bank transfer only.

maccruiskeen

Feedback of the seller is good – mix of items purchased/sold and has sold some high priced items so looks genuine.

However…. non of that feedback will relate to any deals he’s done off ebay. And for all you know it could be a hacked account.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Done it loads of times both ways (usually high value stuff with high fees but also when it turns out the other party is local). Never used PayPal in that situation, if you do you’re missing half the point (saving) of doing it.

Check out how many ads have a mobile number “for any questions”, you can ask questions via eBay so that’s all about taking the sale offline.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Isn’t it 6% eBay fees and 4% PayPal?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Selling privately off of eBay…’ is closed to new replies.