Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Selling New Bike – Parts or Complete?
  • shooterman

Having ordered a new Intense 5.5 my boss breaks the news that the marketing strategy isn't working and things aren't looking too secure beyond the enxt few months.

Hence, I have decided to sell the new bike. The shop hasn't started building it yet and I'm wondering if I would be better building it and selling it complete or trying to sell the parts?

colande
    Free Member

I'd say as parts

but more hassle I'm afraid

clubber
    Free Member

Always parts. More hassle but more cash.

geetee1972
    Free Member

What deposit have you paid? You might be better off loosing that than the amount on the whole sale.

Besides, if its a parts build then the only thing you should be committed to is the frame.

soobalias
    Free Member

speak to the shop/distributer and see if you can only lose a deposit.

whole, you will be very lucky to get 70% of what you pay, as parts maybe slightly more but with a lot of aggrevation

Mister-P
    Free Member

Are the parts still boxed? Probably worth more as individual BNIB than as a built bike I would imagine.

Taff
    Free Member

Ask the shop not to build byut give you all teh aprts in their boxes. Sell them like that. You probably won't get waht you have paid for it though. Is it really worth selling it though? Can other steps not be taken?

shooterman

I've paid for everything up front and much of the stuff has been ordered in especially for me.

Parts it looks like then!

MussEd
    Free Member

If you've already paid for it all just keep it? But if your selling advertise on Ebay, cos folk always seem to get caught up and pay more. Or they do when I think I'm in for a bargain. But then you've got to think of fees too.

Good luck.

pixelmix
    Free Member

Re the eBay thing, it is true that you can get a bit more, but bear in mind that they now charge 10% of the sale value, and then paypal do you over too, so it probably works out much the same as a slightly cheaper STW sale.

br
    Free Member

Wait until you need the money, as it won't lose any more value sat in boxes for a while, and you'd be really pissed if you keep your job and you've lost a packet and a new bike.

jimjimthehumanbin2
    Free Member

Aye, as most people have already stated, if you have to sell your new steed then you will get more for the parts.
    Personally, i always find it a hassle selling a complete bike. Selling parts is easier, though there are a a few more trips to the post office…

coogan
    Free Member

Kind of brakes did you order? 😀

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Im with taff + br

get them to leave the parts boxed. keep hold of them boxed until you know whether you need to sell or not.

ebay prices are all over the place but stuff often goes for more, even after fees. I put a New-old stock shock on here for £60 having paid that for it from a far-eastern ebay trader (and not even unpacked it). No interest here and it went for over £100 on fleabay.

Prices will also firm up in the spring when people get riding more and discover their bikes need overhauling.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Selling New Bike – Parts or Complete?’ is closed to new replies.