Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Selling a perfectly great bike to upgrade ?
  • stevedoc
    Free Member

Basically a cry for help to be fair and now im struggling to justify my plans

would you sell a fantastic bike? one you absolutely loved to buy the newer version of the same bike ? or is that just a complete waste of money?

Yak

No, no, yes.

And what if the new one is tweaked just a bit, and not as good as the current one?

tomhoward

There’s been nothing ‘wrong’ with any bike I’ve sold, just wanted something else.

vincienup
    Free Member

What do you expect to get from the change?

If there’s new geometry or features (that you want), major spec upgrade at cost effective price etc it’s an easy decision if you have the cash handy.

If it’s simply because it’s new, that’s a difficult sell once you stop to think about it.

Somewhere in the middle are less tangible but important alike colour etc – a bike you feel good about is likely to get ridden more, for instance…

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

What are the bikes in question? I can then base an opinion on colour aesthetics alone. 😀

mattbee

Yep, sold my 26″ Bandit which was awesome to buy the 27.6″ one which was a bit awesomer, not due to wheel size so much as extra 10mm of travel, Maxle rear end instead of qr & glittery red paint.

fd3chris
    Free Member

The new one is only new for one ride…….

pinetree
    Free Member

Do you want it? Is it your money? Can you afford it?

If the answer is Yes to the questions above, then you clearly can justify it. You don’t have to justify yourself to a bunch of forum dwellers 😉

chakaping
    Free Member

Yes.

If you can get a decent price for your bike and gain better components with new warranties, it could make a lot of sense.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Right ,i had two bikes my Crush (2016) and my Five last of the 26inch

Today i sold the crush ,i just couldnt get on with it,always seemed slow compared to the five even climbing. Now someone has made a genuine offer and interest on the Five (spec is as close to rs as possible all 2016 parts xt,brakes hope cranks wheels pikes , debonair rt3 shock ect ect )

I am contemplating bundling both sales into a new Lighter Five or Alpine 6

Knowing the loss i would take on a new built is the main factor for saying no

northerntom
    Free Member

I had this with my nukeproof mega. Got to a stage that repairs and upgrades to bring it up to date would have cost circa £1k. So instead I sold the bike and got £1.4k. With a bit of extra cash, that has now meant I’ve bought a bike for £3.3k. So a brand new, up to date bike with warranty, new parts etc, has cost me £500 more than I would have spent anyway.

jam-bo

I just sold that 26″ bandit to fund a 29″ bandit. which is a bit awesomer…

kayla1
    Free Member

No, no and yes, but they’re just my answers to your questions and I love my bike* and can’t see anything (new) that’d be more fun for the stuff I enjoy riding- longer, lower and slacker isn’t always better!

If you want a new bike or frame and can afford it then buy it- you’re a grown-up and don’t need permission!

* 26″ XS BFe** with 130mm forks
    ** which replaced a very similar but slightly less rowdy Sunn Tzar (which I still have)

taxi25
    Free Member

There’s been nothing ‘wrong’ with any bike I’ve sold, just wanted something else

same for me,trying new bikes is all part of the fun. 😀

whitestone
    Free Member

I came across this quote recently:

We must shift America from a needs, to a desires culture,” wrote Paul Mazur of Lehman Brothers. “People must be trained to desire, to want new things even before the old had been entirely consumed. We must shape a new mentality in America. Man’s desires must overshadow his needs.

ravingdave

if you want to feel like you are getting something new, why not refresh the bike? send it off for a professional re-spray, get a few new bits to colour code etc. new bike feel, very little outlay.

and its still a fantastic bike!

cokie

I did this.
    Whyte T129 SCR Works ’15 to Whyte T130 RS ’16.
    Just fancied a change, and glad I did. Fantastic bike, yet again.
    I might even change again to a new Whyte next year.

stevedoc
    Free Member

My five is as new barring the frame .. took it to work this morning and smiled all the way .. perhaps Whitestone has it right ..needs and desires ..

Saying that ive just seen a stunning Nomad …. balls !

roverpig

The new Five is much more “down-focussed” than the old 26″ model, in my opinion. So it depends if that’s what you are after really. If not, the new Four seems to be a lot closer in style to your Five than the new Five.

whitestone
    Free Member

@stevedoc – don’t worry I fall victim from time to time as well. 😆

wl
    Free Member

Just selling my 2013 Five (great bike) to buy a 2017 Five (almost certainly even greater). There are a few key differences that I reckon I’ll appreciate – bigger wheels plus a bit longer, lower, slacker, stiffer etc.

br
    Free Member

I had this with my nukeproof mega. Got to a stage that repairs and upgrades to bring it up to date would have cost circa £1k. So instead I sold the bike and got £1.4k. With a bit of extra cash, that has now meant I’ve bought a bike for £3.3k. So a brand new, up to date bike with warranty, new parts etc, has cost me £500 more than I would have spent anyway.

Can you also afford a new calculator…

£1k + £1.4k = £2.4k – £3.3k = £900, not £500

andybrad

yes

gazcrocker
    Free Member

Yes, because people selling perfectly good bikes to upgrade for the latest model means people who can’t afford that have something to buy.

wl
    Free Member

Stevedoc – have you tried the new Alpine6? It’s amazing, but the new Five is likely to be nuts too. I’m currently torn between the two but erring towards a Five as a slightly better all-rounder for 30+ milers.

northerntom
    Free Member

No, I suggest you also invest in one. £2.4k – £3.3k = -£900. Looks like I’m £400 better off than I thought before!

stevedoc
    Free Member

I think the Alpine 6 is to much for my type of riding , the four not enough , The new Five is where i need to be, Im one for big days out and where the Four wins with the lighter side of things if fails pointing backdown ,because to be fair we dont ride just to go up do we ..

My heads telling me sell , my heart keep,
    and my wife leave 🙂

wl
    Free Member

I demoed the new Alpine for a week – it’s mint, but a downhill beast. Five should be spot on and I’m demoing one any time now. Not really much heavier than a Four anyway, just better angles etc for descending. Reckon significantly better downhill than the last of the 26″ Five’s, and I’m still a big fan of those bikes. Good luck whatever you choose.

shaungero
    Free Member

I got the 2017 5 last week,
    It’s absolutely amazing and rides so different/ Better to the 2016 one I had. Also really notice how much stiffer and lighter the new one is. Done a 50 mile ride on Sunday and if rode awesome. You would not be disappointed. Hope that helped 😀

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cheers chaps

wl
    Free Member

Shaungero – cheers for that. Looking forward to demoing one any day now, and almost certainly buying later this month. What’s your spec and how’s the sizing? Ta.

shaungero
    Free Member

Wl – here is a link to the post I put up about my five last week.
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2017-orange-five-first-ride-wow

wl
    Free Member

Shaungero – thanks for this. I’ll read it soon as I get a mo. You must be one of the first to own one, so it’ll be good to read your report.

stevedoc
    Free Member

Shaungero my Five albeit the 26″ has pretty much the same build sepc, apart from Hope cranks as yours , even down to the colour so you see my dilemma, Just wish i could find time to demo a few

matt_outandabout

Don’t ask me – I change bikes when they are worn out, or the cost of replacing worn stuff becomes half a new bike…

coomber
    Free Member

No, I suggest you also invest in one. £2.4k – £3.3k = -£900. Looks like I’m £400 better off than I thought before!

Upgrade old = £1000
    Purchase new = £3300 less £1400 = £1900

It’s cost you £900 more?

Anyway, you have a new bike and are happy that’s the main thing!

br
    Free Member

I thought it was only me that could add up, luckily there is someone else – should we offer our skills to the Brexiters?

coomber
    Free Member

Saving the world one sum at a time…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

OP – do it. There’s been enough changes in basic geometry to justify the swap.

I thought it was only me that could add up, luckily there is someone else – should we offer our skills to the Brexiters?

😆

What’s £350m divided by 2 sides of a bus?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Selling a perfectly great bike to upgrade ?’ is closed to new replies.