Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Selling a grand piano – fleabay?
  • Ewan
    Free Member

Hi everyone,

Fairly random question this… where is the best place to sell a grand piano? My Dad's church wants to get rid of their one, and they've asked him (and thus me) to help (on the basis I sold a chair for them on ebay a few years ago!).

As far as I know the piano is in good nick and plays well, don't think it's a bling make, so no point in auctioning it properly. So… is ebay the place to sell it? How much does a grand piano go for?

Please feel free to insert jokes about bumping up the postage 😀

ourmaninthenorth

Don't ebay a piano – that seems so wrong… How about speaking to a piano dealer, or approaching local schools?

joemarshall
    Free Member

Local 2nd hand piano shop. A long shot, but if you happen to be in/near Nottingham, Clement Pianos is a very decent 2nd hand shop.

As for what it's worth, depending on what it is, condition etc., could be anything from you paying someone to take it away, to tens of thousands of pounds.

Joe

joemarshall
    Free Member

Obviously bear in mind transporting full sized grands is dead expensive – even a large upright will cost you £80 or so to have it transported 5 miles by a piano movers, I hate to think what a grand costs to move.

Joe

Jerome
    Free Member

Surely you have to at least try this on the STW classifieds..

Ewan
    Free Member

The Church is obviously a charity and will want to make some money out of the sale, I imagine donation is probably the fall back. I'd be surprised if any of the local schools don't have a piano already however.

I see a few have been sold on ebay, generally for a few hundred quid which seems a bit low, but I guess i'll be able to better judge that once I know the make of the piano and do some digging.

The piano is located in Farnborough Hampshire if anyone is interested!

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

You need to go to music shops/local schools etc. THere is also no way you can just put a price on a Grand Piano. It all depends on make, quality, is it covered in scratches, how good a nick is it in? when was the last time it was tuned? as if it hasn't been tuned in years it will take a long time to get it back up to scratch.

I have a baby grand and that was hard enough! but it's just a case of finding that niche.

khani
    Free Member

if your selling on ebay offer viewings and sell as buyer collects or arranges shipping themselves, a quick look for the make/model/year will make valuation easyer to work out a rough guide price, i've actually moved a grand piano and it took a luton box van with tailift 3 strong men big pieces of foam and loads of rope/straps and great care and a good driver(me :D)

Ewan
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice all. Sounds like I need to get the details of the piano and go from there. As far as I know it's in regular use and tuned – all that being true I'll get my sister (muscian) to play it and offer a recording to those interested.

zokes
    Free Member

What price posted? 😉

IanMunro
    Free Member

Will you split? 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Selling a grand piano – fleabay?’ is closed to new replies.