Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Selling a frame, would you respray it first?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

I’ll be selling an Orange 5 frame shortly once I’ve swapped some bits over and I was wondering if it was worth respraying it for sale. I’ve taken the paint back at the weld of the headtube and downtube as I thought it was cracking, but it’s turned out to be just cracking paint where a slightly bigger blob of weld goes at more of an angle into the tube. Would it be worth respraying to ease the sale or would people be more likely to be dubious of it?

fatboyjon

I don’t think anyone would be dubious about it but I don’t think it’ll add the value of the respray to the sale price.

meehaja
    Free Member

I’d advertise it as for sale without re spraying it… but offer to have it resprayed (factor this into cost) before dispatch. It’d be kind cool to be able to buy a 2nd hand 5 in pretty much my choice of colour, but I’m too lazy to get it painted my self.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Bregante

If I was in the Market for a second hand frame, I’d prefer to see it “warts and all”.

Edit: that’s not a bad idea, above but there are risks there. What if the powder coaters make a pigs ear of it and you’re stuck with that bubblegum pink frame when the buyer backs out!

ourmaninthenorth

No. Account for the condition in the price. Buyer can decide if to respray.

If you’re trying to make the frame “not yours”, then spraying it will be doing the opposite, if that makes sense.

seanoc
    Free Member

It depends what you want to do.

I was in a similiar position a couple of years ago with an Orange 224. The components were all in pretty good nick and the fork (fox 40’s)was well looked after and serviced but the frame had battle scars from uplift carnage.

I wanted to sell the bike without stripping, I also wanted the buyer to experience buying what looked and felt like a new bike (because that feeling is ace!). I paid for Orange to have it painted; I think it probably increased the value of the bike by £80-£100 but it increased the sellability by 100%.

The guy turned up, saw the bike, saw the Orange service receipt, and was happy as larry…didn’t haggle; happy to pay a fair asking price.

With a proper paint job/service reciept, as a buyer, I wouldnt think your’e trying to pull the wool or paper over cracks. It made sense to me, anyhoo.

crazy-legs

I’ve got a Cove frame which I want to sell but TBH it’s not worth the hassle of a respray. Personally (if I was the buyer) I’d pay a fair price for it and factor in the cost of the respray – at least that way I get my choice of colour/finish etc.

Alternatively, state “in need of respray” on the sale description and offer to have it done in the buyer’s choice of colour.

Equally, the buyer may not want a respray – someone buying a frame to build up a hack/winter bike probably isn’t going to be too fussed about how it looks!

Anyone want a 19″ Cove Stiffee frame in need of a respray? 😉

cookeaa

Sell it as is, let the buyer decide how they want it painting/coating…

Buyers generally value honesty – Simply explain why the paint is stripped in the areas it is and that there IS NOT any cracking…
    You’ll not recoup the cost of a re-spray in the selling price…

Paceman
    Free Member

^^ What he said, get Orange to respray it and keep the reciept ^^

clubber
    Free Member

I’d be dubious myself. Plus I wouldn’t pay extra for it.

smell_it
    Free Member

Yep, i’d be dubious about what the seller was trying to hide. If all you recoup is the cost of the respray it seems pointless. But looking above if there are buyers who would be interested and the respray let you charge an additional premium, why not.

cookeaa

TBH if I were in the market for a 5 with knackered paint, I’d most just likely break out the nitromors and brasso when it arrived and have it nice and shiney…

Paint only adds weight after all…

You could strip and poish it? is it worth it?

Rickos
    Free Member

It’s an ’08, 16 inch frame so it’s never going to attract a high value compared to newer frames. Was thinking around £400 but I can get it sprayed for about £70 by a friend in the car repair business. He’s done others that I’ve seen and it’s a good job, but in all probability not worth it looking at the responses.

Thanks for the feedback.

seanoc
    Free Member

I didn’t recoup the price of the paint job; that was never the intention.

bettyswollocks
    Free Member

I’ll be the awkward one and play devils advocate here. I’ve quite often stumbled across well used (but perfectly salvagable) MTB frames on forums and the ol’ ‘bay which I’ve acquired for next to nothing then had then powder-coated and fenced on for a considerable profit. You have to know what you’re looking for and be able to polish the proverbial turd, but good money can be made from a revitalised frame. I say go for it – the powder coaters I use only charge around £35 for a full frame respray.

kayak23

Raw it, and get some genuine stickers back on. It’ll look great.

takisawa2

I sold my Ventana with a nice new powder coat & decals. I even had the rockers anodised & put all new bearings in. Don’t think I made more money but I felt better knowing the buyer received what looked to be a new frame.

TiRed

16″ you say. I might be interested, but I’d want it either resprayed by Orange, or sold as is.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Selling a frame, would you respray it first?’ is closed to new replies.