Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Selling a car on ebay
  • bagpuss72
    Free Member

I’m thinking of throwing in the towel with my GTI and selling it on ebay its had a new gear box, clutch, crank sensor and coil pack and now has an intermitant electrical fault on cylinder 4 thats probably something very simple but don’t want to chuck any more money at it.

Someone suggested ebay but bit scared of having people come round to my house, someone driving off with my car, giving me dodgy money. coming back if it breaks down again you name it I’ve been through the negatives in my head.

Advice from people that have used it???? Rough cost?????

totalshell

sold cars and motorbikes on ebay for 6 years no issues ever .. be honest in description start auction low start at 8pm on a thurdasy night for a ten day sale .. that way you get two weekend for folk to come look (though the buyer probably wont look) and it finishes 8 pm on a sunday night when the buyers have nothing else to distract them buyers love photo the more the merrier trade buyer aint going to be bothered by leccy fault he wants to see it shine.. dont let anyone drive it take them for a spin if they want but no body drives it. take cash check each note wth a pen ( pound shop) and bingo..

once sold a bike guy paid with irish 100 pound notes.. paid 10% extra they were legit..

supertramp
    Free Member

Ditto, I’ve been selling on ebay stuff for years, people are generaly straight forward and honest- no worries

but, state in the listing no overseas bidders at all, fulll stop.

no bidders with less that 10 feedbacks or a bad negative score.

last, tell the truth and suggest that you description is a guidline and as honest as possible, if they are fussy they should look at it themselves before bidding as once they have it it’s too late!

I often put my mobile number in the listing

cash on collection only! Paypal are robbers!

finaly, don’t be tempted by crap offers! you will get loads, but set a realistic price in your mind and stick to it (if you can)

konabunny
    Free Member

lotsa photos

lotsa description

lotsa service history details

more description

more photos

deposit by paypal immediately, balance later…and not ten grand in cash on a Friday night so that you can spend the next 36 hours wondering whether Big Baz is gonna kick in your door to take it back off you

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Thanks for that gonna give it a good hoover out and clean tomm take some photos over the weekend. Was going to mention the electrical fault.

Pound shop pen??? Blimey….

Where do you live if you’ll do it for me I’ll give you commision haha I’m being a scaredy cat I know but worried they’ll see a female who knows nothing about cars and take the piss money wise its low in milage for its age which bumps the price up but where can I get a realistic idea without paying on a website most of them want you to pay for a valuation?

djglover
    Free Member

I’ve sold a 10 year old car and a 3 year old car on there with no problems before

old cars, list for 99p with loads of history and photos, they find their right value, I was pleased

new cars, set a realistic buy it now or make offer price, again max out on the photos and description

bagpuss72
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice everyone

Debs x

nickjb
    Free Member

worried they’ll see a female who knows nothing about cars and take the piss money wise

That’s the beauty of ebay. As long as the pictures and text are good it’ll sell for what it’s worth. You’ll get a lot of emails asking you to end the auction early for a low offer, just let it run.

footflaps

Good suggestions, I’m in a similar position with my V6 4Motion Golf and was toying between auction and Ebay to get rid of it.

totalshell

dont mention the electrical fault.. take cash only let the auction run till the end dont bottle it wait until the end. when they turn up for the car have all the paperwork ready get them to sign the v5c take the full amount in cash dont give em a penny off the final price start at 99p
    dont worry it ll sell for what its worth.. before you list it run the sales pitch on here and i m sure someone will help with the bits to mention etc.. no fella no problem go for it.

kaiser
    Free Member

dont mention the electrical fault.

if you are a tosser

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Selling a car on ebay’ is closed to new replies.