Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Seller advice needed!
  • Rosss
    Free Member

I sold my Reverb on here a little under two weeks ago, tested it before posting it out and gave it a decent clean. The buyer got back to me over the weekend claiming he has just got around to fitting and it isn’t working. I know the post was working no issues at all when I sent it as I rode up the street on it the morning I posted it to be sure. The seller claimed he has spent hours trying to bleed it and the valve is broken, admitted a small patch of the rubber hose coating had worn a little inside the frame (stealth) so I was happy to take the return as I could sell it on no issues.

The buyer sent me an email yesterday telling me he posted it back, however also went on to tell me he’d cut the hose down while fitting, but had forgotten to tell me when I agreed to take it back. Fine I’ll be able to sell it on with a slightly shorter hose.

Well the post got back today and it is well and truly bust, the air valve cap is missing, it no longer holds oil and the post it covered in deep scores from removal with what I can only assume is diamonds in the seat tube.

The buyer paid through Paypal, what sort of options do I have here. Currently I have the post and was planning to refund the seller but the post is in really bad shape and is going to cost me. My current thinking is to return the post to the buyer again as it is nothing like the post I sent out. Luckily I have pictures of the post prior to posting.

chilled76
    Free Member

Standard scam.. probably not even your post he’s sent back.

rickmeister

Unfortunately, sounds like the scam as per Chilled….

Do these sort of items have unique numbers on that can be part of a sale or return condition… ?

Like, pre sale, “I will be sending you the Reverb Number 123456” which may avoid the above if a different post number is sent back, having stated you will only accept the original?

cp

It’s not your post that you’ve received back is my thinking I’m afraid.

Can’t remember if reverbs have serial numbers like the forks.

Rosss
    Free Member

Damn, I hadn’t even considered that. All is amicable at the minute but I can’t see a way out to suit both. I’m just disappointed after selling on her for 5 years this is the first issue

My gut is telling me he’s shortened the hose and damaged something trying to get it fitted/bled

Junkyard
    Free Member

that is not your post that you have got

WHo bought it then as they are best avoided?
    #Checks poster history
    i can only see you asking for one not selling one

Strokes chin pondering with spider sense atingling, pulls up chair gets biscuits ready

cp

If you send it back, make sure you take pictures before you do.

cp

Strokes chin pondering with spider sense atingling, pulls up chair gets biscuits ready

+1

Intriguing.

chilled76
    Free Member

Just for the record before anyone looks at his history and confuses this.. I’ve just sold Ross a reverb and not the person who bought one off of him and sent it back. He was getting rid of a stealth one and buying a non stealth one. Presumably changed his frame.

Rosss
    Free Member

I was contacted directly through email, from my advert on here. Stupidly I don’t have a user name.
    It was a stealth post I sold, my wanted add was for a non stealth which should arrive this week fro Paul up there ^^ 🙂 Edit cheers Chilled!

I considered returning it to the buyer again however I’m sure he could raise a Paypal dispute and end up with the money refunded and the post. Hmm tricky situation. Starting to think I may just have to suck up a loss here…

jam-bo

Paypal gift?

zilog6128

I was contacted directly through email, from my advert on here. Stupidly I don’t have a user name.

sounding scammier by the second unfortunately… 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d assume hamfisted attempt to fit rather than scam, just on the balance of probabilities.

Sometimes you can take a Reverb off a bike working fine, then it doesn’t work next time you fit it – or oil leaks can emerge in transit that were not obvious to the seller.

Focus on what physical difference there is – scoring to the post section and a missing air cap? What does it need to get it fixed up and how much will that cost? Would splitting the cost and the buyer having the post be a fair solution?

jonnyboi

A) item has been damaged by buyer

Or

B) item has been swapped by buyer

Neither are your fault, if he raises a dispute then challenge it.

Personally I would contact him pronto to say it’s not worthy of a refund due to A), as you can’t prove B)

tomhoward

Trouble is Jonnyboi, if the seller has no proof of the condition when he sent it, PayPal will side with the buyer. Even if it was damaged in transit, buyer still wins as it’s the sellers responsibility to get the item to the buyer.

All this is the reason I stopped putting for sale ads up, and only reply to folks wanted ads, if they’ve got decent posting history.

Rosss
    Free Member

Until I get chance to have a good look at the post it’s hard to say how much it will cost to fix, as it’s no longer holding air I’m guessing an internal seal has been damaged. I will contact RSF as soon as possible to gauge a cost.

As I said the buyer remains amicable and has even stated he’d be happy to buy it back if I fix it…. 😯

Paypal was all above board here, I sent an invoice and he paid with fees split so we should both be covered. Currently I think the most likely result will be me refunding the cost less the cost to fix split between us.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I probably wouldn’t refund TBF. Whether it’s a scam or not, who knows? But trying to fit it to your bike, in my eyes, means you’ve thoroughly inspected it and are happy with the item. If it is the same post, the buyer is clearly ham fisted and probably doesn’t give a shit about his equipment. Scratches on the seatpost?! FFS

bruneep

I bet he is, then he’ll have two working reverbs for the price of one

jonnyboi

Trouble is Jonnyboi, if the seller has no proof of the condition when he sent it, PayPal will side with the buyer. Even if it was damaged in transit, buyer still wins as it’s the sellers responsibility to get the item to the buyer.

Seller has told OP in writing that he cut the hydraulic hose, unless I’m mistaken.

matt_outandabout

It does sound iffy.

Options:
    1. OP is a lier. Seems unlikely, but his mainly classifieds use of the site would usally mean I wouldn’t deal with him.
    2. Buyer is incompetent and hamfisted mechanic, who is chancing it after a bodged fitting. OP is too nice in response (Ask for pics, argue your corner if it is not as sent – you did take and share good ‘pre-sale’ pics, yeah?)
    3. Buyer is a scammer who has swapped the post for broken one.

Post up the pics, the buyers emails, email address etc and let us see?

fooman

Alternatively offer a refund minus the cost to replace the parts damaged during fitment, if they are honest I can’t see why they wouldn’t agree to this

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Seller advice needed!’ is closed to new replies.