Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Selfish
  • davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You know the sort…..http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38048793

Richard Ansell, who owns an Audi Q5, says “virtually all spaces are too small” for his car.
    “If I park over the white line because another driver has struggled to fit in a bay I risk getting a parking ticket for parking illegally.

What a **** prick. Get a normal sized car then you utter bellend.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Get a normal sized car then you utter bellend.

Yup

perchypanther
    Free Member

Thought this was going to be about oysters and prawns and that.
    Is disappoint.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Have 2 sizes of bay in car parks and charge more for the larger bays, simples

chewkw
    Free Member

Problem with UK is that the space is quickly running out.

Either people just have to drive smaller or narrower cars or the parking space needs to be redefined.

Look at the stupid parking space below.

[url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-38048793]From BBC[/url]

bearnecessities

What a **** prick. Get a normal sized car then you utter bellend.

No need to get jealous just because Richard’s done well for himself.

You should have tried harder at school, then you wouldn’t be stuck with a shitty supermini that’ll happily fit into cortina-sized spaces.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

😀

Sorry Richard 😉

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’d wager it’s this sort of knobber who dings and scratches other cars as he attempts to get his fat ‘arris out of the car.

Bregante

Q5 isn’t even particularly big is it? Bloke needs to learn to drive.

MoreCashThanDash

To be fair, a Q5 isn’t actually that big. And he’s saying that other people can’t park, not that he can’t, in the OPs quote.

He’s obviously a smaller bellend than a Q7 owner…..

(Skoda Fabia here, btw. And a sufficiently large penis that I don’t need to compensate for)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No need to get jealous just because Richard’s done well for himself.

how do you know he’s done well for himself, could be on some sort of PCP deal, could be all sorts of things. Either way it is an innappropriate car for urban living, as are all the other 4x4s listed on that web page.

Next Chris Eubank will be complaining that he can’t park his truck cab in Brighton town centre, and people will think he has a justified complaint.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Either way it is an innappropriate car for urban living

I thought it must have been a Q7, well maybe a Q5 is less bad.

bearnecessities

how do you know he’s done well for himself

He’s rockin’ a Q5. No matter how he’s running it, he’s got one. I’d guess the chap’s winning in life.

STATO
    Free Member

So people park big cars in small spaces because they cant be bothered to go and find somewhere they can park? Reminds me of all the bikes locked to lamp posts and railings directly outside the place that person wants to go to, blocking the path with their half fallen over bike, instead of locking it to the (good quality) mostly empty bike rack 25m away where mine is locked. Most people are selfish in some way, its a fact of life.

CountZero

The point that everyone seems to be missing is that all parking space dimensions are set according to specifications laid down around forty years ago. Cars, on the other hand, are significantly bigger*, I give you the Mini, a name that should be investigated by Trading Standards.
    Most cars are around six to ten inches longer than a standard parking space, and roughly the same width’ making getting in and out without damaging the next door car almost impossible.
    It’s got bugger-all to do with whether this bloke drives an X5, and everything to do with councils will do their dampest to get the maximum number of parking spaces into a given area, and making the spaces smaller than an average car is the ideal way to do it.
    *Just compare a modern Golf with a Mk1 Golf, or a Polo, a Fiat 500…

revs1972
    Free Member

Just park in the parent and toddler space and be done with it…… 😆

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

I’d guess the chap’s winning in life.

If driving an Audi 4×4 is your definition of “winning in life” then I am very, very glad to say I’m losing 😀

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Pig parker

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pfHvr1La2LI[/video]

curvature
    Free Member

Well being provocative I think the Q5 is big. When we had the BMW convertible I could clean it myself, now we have a Q5 I have to get some foreign chaps to do it for me as I feel using my own step ladders is too dangerous.

mefty
    Free Member

Just park in the parent and toddler space and be done with it……

This is good advice as if we are going to avoid an obesity epidemic the kids could do with the extra exercise, however I use the disabled bays as they need it more as some of them still fail the fitness to work tests.

nonk
    Free Member

I just throw mine in on an angle across two spaces

john_drummer
    Free Member

*Just compare a modern Golf with a Mk1 Golf, or a Polo, a Fiat 500…

Exactly. I haven’t taken a tape measure to one recently but the last Polo I saw seemed about the same size as a MkI Golf. And have you seen the size of a Mondeo estate? Pretty sure that’s way longer and wider than a 1974 Cortina Estate

john_drummer
    Free Member

And while we’re at it, what about those twonks who think it’s ok to drive diagonally across all the spaces just because there’s nothing parked there?

angeldust
    Free Member

Dumb thread. How much bigger do you think the footprint of a Q5 is than a focus? Bet a Mondeo footprint is bigger, but unlikely to get criticised in the same way. Usual mix of jealousy and ignorance (and a few people trying to lighten it up, thank God).

Bad parking is independent of the car.

edhornby

the issigonis mini was 3m long by 1.3m wide
    the Q5 is 4.7m long by 1.9m wide

but before everyone gives the yah-boo about how the issigonis mini isn’t safe anymore, consider that Gordon Murray’s T25 is the same width and even shorter than the mini so it can be done with modern engineering and the will to choose better options

or of course we could all ride our bikes a bit more, quick everyone buy a cargo bike

scotroutes

Do you think that if parking spaces were made smaller, fewer folk would buy big cars knowing they couldn’t park up anywhere? Seems like a winner to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

If we must, 2 rows of “big” spaces at the back of the car park furthest away from everywhere. Having happily driven a LWB transit most days it fitted between the lines in my local sainsburys but over on the length.
    On the same note was riding down a small road and the amount of bigger SUV ( 🙄 ) type things that couldn’t drive past each other was embarrassing.

Roads are not getting bigger in towns and cities, parking is not going to get bigger as bigger spaces means less spaces so time to think of some options?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

If we must, 2 rows of “big” spaces at the back of the car park furthest away from everywhere. Having happily driven a LWB transit most days it fitted between the lines in my local sainsburys but over on the length.

Supermarket spaces a more than likely bigger than municipal parking spaces. I could get the Focus in most spaces, but the Kuga wouldn’t fit in municipal car parks but would at supermarkets.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cars have got bigger and alot of that is driven by safety. Do you think you can make a car as small as the original mini and it meet all the requirements for 5 star NCAP rating? The further you are away from the actual crash the safer you are.

Northwind

I have a mondeo estate, not such an outrageous thing to drive but it’s physically bigger than some parking spaces. Usually newer parking spaces, and often at supermarkets and the like- suggesting it’s not about spaces needing to be made bigger, it’s about people making spaces smaller. And it’s an 11 year old car and 16 year old design so this is hardly a new development.

THe article mentions a standard parking space size, 4.8 x 2.4- my car would fit in that. I didn’t know there was such a thing as a UK standard parking space but a lot of them out there aren’t as big as that. A Q5 would fit fairly effortlessly in that.

devash
    Free Member

If driving an Audi 4×4 is your definition of “winning in life” then I am very, very glad to say I’m losing

So true. Sadly some people have their priorities wrong.

scotroutes

Honda Jazz is 5 star, so it’s not like everything has to be the size of a medium tank.

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Do you think you can make a car as small as the original mini and it meet all the requirements for 5 star NCAP rating?

Especially if it’s to withstand being rammed by the likes of a Q7.

nickdavies

?

edhornby

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/industry-news/gordan-murray/gordon-murray-design-t27-crash-tested/

here we go – Gordon Murray designed the Maclaren P1 remember so not just some random chancer, not a problem with safety in small packages if you design them right

wrecker
    Free Member

Sorry, but for even modest/average sized cars, the typical NCP space is too small. You have to park so close to the car next to you even just to squeeze out that you leave at least one neighbor a pretty shit amount of space. The roadways are often far too tight, look at the scraches on most of the kerbs etc in any NCP.
    I have to park in one when I work in the office, and the amount of people I see damaging their cars is crap.
    I’d love a nice little coupe (wouldn’t we all?), but I need a car to be practical for how I live so it’s just not an option.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

NCP is private no?

senorj

It’s not the parking of “large” vehicles that boils my pi$$ , it’s the fact that 75% of the people in them, in my area, insist on driving down the middle of a two way street in order to avoid scratching their wing mirror. aaagghh.

yunki
    Free Member

I’m with senor j on this one..

Living in Devon, anyone who insists on driving 2 feet away from the hedges to avoid scratching their paintwork, needs their car redistributing to someone with a little less money and a lot more sense

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘Selfish’ is closed to new replies.