Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Self supported C2C?
  • asbrooks

Right, I fancy have a go at something different.. Well to me anyway.

I’ve been looking at the rat race website for the last couple of years with the intention of having a go. However, stupid old age and a dodgy back are getting in the way.
    I’m not one to be defeated though, I would still like to have a go at the C2C using the same route as the rat race, but at more of a leisurely pace. Maybe 5 days or so.
    My fitness level is at an all time low, I had man flu over Christmas and it’s taking some time to get back.
    The chaps I ride with suggest getting a road bike and commute to work, which makes perfect sense. Round trip excluding the motorway bit is about 30 miles.
    If any of you stw collective that have done it or something similar have any advice to pass on, it would be greatly appreciated.

I’ll also add, While I’m green at bikepaking, I have been backpacking before. In my youth!!

Thanks
    Andrew

richpips
    Free Member

I don’t think you’ll need 5 days to do 160 fairly flat kilometres, more like 2 even if you are unfit.

paul4stones

Is this the Scottish C2C, running, biking and kayaking? They do it in 2 so to add another 3 days would make it extremely leisurely even if you are really unfit.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

Ive just done the way of the roses c2c and thats 170 miles in 3 days , carrying all my gear etc

fasthaggis

Travel light and post stuff* ahead to your stopping/overnight spots.
    *Include return postage for dirty stuff going back

jonba
    Free Member

For bike packing info there is a massive thread on here look for “sick as a dog” also try the bear bones bike packing website.

Fitness wise commuting will do you good. It really helped me when I first started riding as it is easy time on a bike. You might not manage it every day to start. Maybe go tue/thu then Mon/wed/Fri and build upto the 5 days.

If you are going self supported make sure you pass places to get decent food like pubs. Then you can carry less. Plan the Max time you think then just ride each day as you want. If you get there early have a think about doing another days riding at one end. Better that than riding to exhaustion because of an impossible schedule.

Practice. Do a few long days. Make sure your kit works like bike and clothing. Eat some of the food you’ll be taking. I’d go for normal food not energy products. But whatever you take make sure you can stomach it while riding. You might also crave certain foods when tired, take some of those.

asbrooks

“jonba; I’ve been looking through the sick as dog thread, It’s kinda whats given me the idea for doing it self supported. I’ll take a look at bare bones. Thanks.

The plan is to get out with kit a couple of weekends through May to July and a couple of times in the back garden to get used to putting the tent or bivy up in preparation.

In terms of using a bivy or tent, which the best way to go? I have a small two man backpacking tent which can be used without the inner. Go outdoors are currently selling a one man backpacking tent for less than 40 quid.

I thought that 5 days would be achievable, considering the rat race does it in 3 days. At this moment in time, I’ll take the 5 days. With my current state of fitness.
    The route will take me through the Lake district, the Yorkshire dales and the North Yorkshire moors.
    Details here
    C2C crossing

Thanks

jerseymountainbiker
    Free Member

I did the ‘Woodcock’ route last year – St Bees to Robin Hood’s Bay over 6 days (although the first and last days were half days due to transport arrangements). I carried all my our gear and camped. Best thing I’ve done on a bike, the scenery is stunning. I could have done it quicker but why? Spend time enjoying the experience and the stunning scenery.

The route I took shares a fair bit of the Rat Race crossing in the central sections (Pennines, Swalesdale and Cleveland Hills). Worst bit for me was hike-a-bike in the section between Kirkby Steven and Tann Hill but I wanted to do the whole route. I think I struggled partly because Mentally I had ‘relaxed’ thinking the worst was behind me after getting out of the Lakes, part was the weather (rain) and part wa that the route was unmarked bog trotting across a sphagnum peat bog.

Overall brilliant experience – GO FOR IT.

scotroutes

Start with the tent. You already have it after all. The most important thing is to get out there and learn what works for you. Too many folk are obsessing about the gear.

trevron73
    Free Member

I too want to do rat race but am put off by the cost , i would love to do a self supported C2C just need to man up and do a few overbites on my own before going for it ?

asbrooks

@trevron73, It might seem costly, but I’m sure there’s a lot of organisation that goes into running these events. But I agree, it’s lot to payout in one go.

At the minute I’m looking into the practicalities of doing it unsupported. It’s a big ask to get someone to drive to Whitehaven and wait around to pick me up at Robin Hood’s bay. I know that there is a train that goes cross country from Whitby to Whitehaven. So driving up to Robbin Hood’s bay and leaving the car is an option.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

As my previous post doing the c2c way of the roses, i needed to get back to Birmingham from up norf, instead of someone waiting and driving up there to get me, i did a one way car rental with enterprise and drove myself home and dropped the car off next day 🙂 .. wasnt cheap but easier than 3 trains home !

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Self supported C2C?’ is closed to new replies.