• This topic has 6 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by duir.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Self service on a float x2?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

So, I’ve had a look online and home service of the float x2 looks entirely plausable.

However, it needs a few specific tools. Anyone tried this and have any idea how much it would cost to tool up for this? Just wondering if it’s viable.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

I did look it all up last year (don’t have the figures anymore) but ended up dismissing it. The reasons were the combined tooling and seal kit cost (extortionate!) meant I’d need 2 to 3 services to break even. Considering an annual service seems to be all it’s needing, I figured 3 years and I’d likely be changing out the shock for wear/upgrade etc anyway. Agreed though, home service looks to be no real issue, as with pretty much any suspension product.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The big plus for me was the lack of nitrogen charge on rebuild. I did hope that would bring the cost down.

It bothers me that you can’t clean the air can on the x2 without opening up the damper.

RickDraper
    Free Member

It bothers me that you can’t clean the air can on the x2 without opening up the damper.

Dont worry, the sealing on them is very good.

Onzadog
    Free Member

That’s good to hear.

bramblesummer
    Free Member

I haven’t found any crud make it’s way into mine yet, even despite a very British winter or two of thrashing. I can’t say I noticed any change in performance after a service following a year of abuse, so it’s fair testament to the sealing quality. Hence I vetoed the home service situation once the cost was checked. Forks are a different matter though……

duir
    Free Member

The service interval is quite long and should only need doing once a year. That said it is a pain not being able to do a quick air can service to get rid of trapped dirt, my X2 developed a scratch on the slider from this.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Self service on a float x2?’ is closed to new replies.