Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Self levelling shocks
  • molgrips
    Free Member

The Passat Estate has self levelling shocks as an option, but the saloon does not. So I am investigating whether or not it's possible to retro-fit these things to help with towing.

Anyone know anything about it?

And yes I do know there are plenty of other options for stiffening up the rear 🙂

br
    Free Member

Better to load your van in a balanced manner – your car will have a maximum ball-weight, and I can't imagine that having self-levelling shocks should change that.

molgrips
    Free Member

The car has an 85kg towbar limit. The advice is to load the van to the maximum towbar limit. However when you do this, the car's somewhat low and it wallows around a bit. Not much, but I don't like it and want to improve the ride as much as I can.

So it's either auxilliary springs which need to be fitted and removed as appropraite (extra faff), or air balloons inside the springs, or the ideal solution would the self levelling shocks that the estate gets, which would be automatic and unobtrusive, and are an option specifically to help with towing or big loads.

br
    Free Member

I often wonder about the towbar limits too, especially when trying to manoeuvre a horsebox onto the towbar…

molgrips
    Free Member

These things are an option too (clicky)

alanf
    Free Member

Will the self levelling shocks not be part of an electronic system to control the levelling?
    You'd need to get more than just the shocks then to make it work, possibly something along the lines of the kit you've shown?
    Might be worth finding out how the system works from the dealer

molgrips
    Free Member

Self levelling shocks are exactly that, self levelling. At least, the ones on VWs are. They're a drop-in replacement for normal shocks, so the same size, but they have this thing where they pump themselves up as you drive to achieve the same level regardless of the weight.

So when you put on the trailer or whatever it is, the car sags, but after a few hundred metres it's level again. That's why I'm considering it, as it's an isolated self-contained system without electronics and stuff.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

What age is your passat, I have a 2002 plate passat estate and the back sits really low with any load in it, would be interested if self leveling shocks could be retro fitted.

alanf
    Free Member

Ah OK – I'm not familiar with the VW system. Ones I've seen in the past have been electronically controlled.
    If it's like for like then should be an easy retrofit depending on the cost of the units, which I wouldn't imagine are cheap.

avdave2

I read that title at a glance as self levelling socks and thought what a great idea.

molgrips
    Free Member

Bigsurfer – your springs are probably worn anyway. They do need replacing after a while.

Right, called around – the VW system is not a self-contained system, it is linked into the electronics and whatnot, so complicated.

Monroe do dampers that you can pump up, but they apparently don't fit on the 2006 (although do on earlier models).

So that leaves additional progressive wound springs or inflatable air bags. The progressive springs supposedly don't affect the ride in normal driving but keep it level when you're towing. This can't be – there has to be some sag when towing, and there also has to be an effect when driving solo. If you hit a big bump you'll be into the stiffer area of the spring, and therefore get a big rebound since the damping will be all wrong.

The air springs could be good but you apparently still need to keep them inflated when there's no load or they move out of position.

So nothing's ideal 🙁 I just want something you can easily fit or activate when towing, and remove when not. There are those rubber bits you stuff in the springs but that has to put extra strain on the spring, doesn't it?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

buy an estate? 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah thanks for that!

alanf
    Free Member

Any coilover kits available where you can adjust the spring rate?

molgrips
    Free Member

Not sure, but it's not a bad idea. Some have adjustable damping too which I think would be rather good since I'm also a bit unsure about upping the spring rate without appropriate damping.

I've had another idea though. I wonder if I could somehow attach a MTB rear shock to the linkage..? It seems daft but I weigh 90kg and the extra weight of the van is only 75kg ish.. so it should work in theory! Plus I'd get extra damping too.

Will check out 'sporty' suspension stuff, although I am a little worried about insurance taking the p*ss.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Self levelling shocks’ is closed to new replies.