Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Self levelling a floor. Don't suppose anyone's used it over parquet flooring?
  • choppersquad
    Free Member

We have a large area of floor space which needs to be levelled. It’s three rooms which are now knocked through into one. This means we have to level a tile kitchen floor and a parquet wood floor to the same level.
    The wood floor is really old, really ‘welded’ to the floor and has no loose bits whatsoever. Is there any way I could just pour the levelling compound straight over this or should I take the whole floor up first?
    I think I know the sensible answer already but was hoping that someone would say “I did that and it’s worked just fine.

boxelder

It’ll need to be lifted. Screed isn’t straightforward to get level and can’t cope with unevenness of more than a few mm very easily. If it’s old floors, you may find they aren’t insulated, so digging them out and laying 75mm of insulation with concrete etc on top will give a warm, level surface at the correct height for doors etc – laying screed plus flooring will raise your floor levels significantly.

tymbian
    Free Member

What boxelder said. Chances are once a bit of elbow-grease has been applied and you remove one piece of parquet with possibly a chisel the rest might lift easy…or not. Might be a pig of a job but it’s the right way forward.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do it properly and take the parquet up – hammer and chisel/pry-bar (a cat’s paw tool will be useful – Stanley do a cheapish one available from screwfix etc.). Then a wide flat bladed spade should do the rest. Get a pallet and stack it neatly – you might even get a reclaimed parquet dealer to take it off your hands for a few quid – or at least come and take it away for free. Do you know what the parquet is or can you post a pic?

What’s the new floor going to be? (This will dictate next steps after parquet removal.)

timba
    Free Member

As above. The parquet may come loose under your new floor, which could be a problem depending on what you’re laying down
    If they are parquet blocks then they could be quite saleable

choppersquad
    Free Member

Thanks guys.
    The new floor is going to be looselay Karndean.
    Was just really trying to save myself a packet by not having to use so much self levelling compound. Last time I levelled the garage floor I did about twelve bags just raising it about 4mm.
    This floor space is going to be huge compared to that.
    Does anyone know who the cheapest suppliers of levelling compound are likely to be?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

If the parquet is level, why not just cover with ply, then level tiled area to that?

Most latexes will not be suitable for getting up to the thickness of a parquet (given that it’s 3/4″-ish?).

trout
    Free Member

Do not under any circumstances cover a parquet floor with screed and a vynil floor
    the blocks will expand and fail in 100 % of cases due to bottling in any moisture

There are no good cheap smoothing compounds/ screeds
    you also need to make sure there is a DPM in situ before laying a new vynil floor

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

There are no good cheap smoothing compounds/ screeds

+1

Personally, I’d do this (if I was doing it for a client who was willing to pay to have it done properly…)

Remove all existing floor coverings (yep, tiles too!)
    Check moisture content of exposed screed (allowing some time for it to dry after removal of old flooring)
    Prime and apply 2-part liquid DPM.
    Prime and apply compatible smoothing compound.
    Fit new floor covering.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

We had a floor covered in bitumen at an old house we bought, it went straight onto the old quarry tiles and soil (yes soil!) It sealed out the damp and made a good solid level floor.
    I wouldn’t put it straight onto parquet though.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Self levelling a floor. Don't suppose anyone's used it over parquet flooring?’ is closed to new replies.