Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Self-inflating mats
  • Jakester
    Free Member

Morning all.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a self-inflating mat for camping?

We’ve previously used lightweight Thermarests and been nearly crippled, so moved to airbeds, and been only semi-crippled the next day. They’re still not hugely comfortable though, and I’ve since seen a few SIMs with reviews saying “more comfortable than my own bed” etc – is this hyperbole, or are they that good?

We were in a shop and saw what is marketed as ‘the next generation’ of SIM – an Outwell Dreamboat. For a brief lie it seemed very comfortable, but very expensive.

A quick Google suggests that Exped SIMs are highly-rated as well. We were looking at the Alpkit Dozer as well, but have also seen the ‘Andes’ range on eBay and Amazon.

We’re car camping, so no issues about weight etc.

Any thoughts?

dknwhy

We use Vango comfort 10s (double and a couple of singles).
    Very comfortable and relatively cheap. Pack size is big but ok for car camping. Double is hard work to get rolled up again. I’ve not seen the Outwell ones so can’t comment on how they compare but over the years I’ve tried airbeds, foam mats, Thermarests and Alpkit mats.
    The vango ones are the most comfortable yet.

molgrips
    Free Member

The cheap outdoor brands now make stuff like Thermarests from 15 years ago. My wife has one that’s about 4 inches thick and is very comfortable.

You could just go down to Go Outdoors and browse, they have tons of stuff in there. Including camp beds that are off the floor. Comfy but you’d need a big car/van…

Airbeds are shite. Sweaty and bouncy.

Best thing I ever slept on was borrowed from someone in the states. It was essentially upholstery foam in a cover. Having slept on plain upholstery foam at someone’s house (inside) it was similarly very comfortable indeed, so might be worth a look.

Cougar

Airbeds are shite. Sweaty and bouncy.

And very cold.

BoardinBob

Dozer is very comfortable. Would be my choice if space and weight weren’t an issue

sofaboy73
    Free Member

For car camping, outwell do a10cm thick one which is wider than normal size. I use one and find them the most comfortable I’ve been camping (but I lie hard beds). Think you Cannock them up for £50 from go outdoors

Jakester
    Free Member

You could just go down to Go Outdoors and browse, they have tons of stuff in there. Including camp beds that are off the floor. Comfy but you’d need a big car/van…

Done, but they only have two Thermarests in the Bristol store.

For car camping, outwell do a10cm thick one which is wider than normal size. I use one and find them the most comfortable I’ve been camping (but I lie hard beds). Think you Cannock them up for £50 from go outdoors

Hmm, I think those are probably what I saw in the other shop, but they were substantially more than £50 ea.

We use Vango comfort 10s (double and a couple of singles).

Thanks DKNWhy, those look like the sort of thing.

slowoldman

For car camping we take a great big thick Outwell airbed and a thick sheet to put on top of it. It isn’t sweaty, bouncy or cold. Mind you we also ditched the sleeping bags and took a thick double duvet too. Bodies are very good at keeping each other warm.

For lighter weight stuff, over the years I’ve used Karrimats, Thermarests and Expeds. The Exped downmat is definitely the most comfortable and warmest. A bit of a pain blowing it up though, but hey, you’ve nothing better to do whilst waiting for the water to boil.

b1galus
    Free Member

“The Exped downmat is definitely the most comfortable and warmest. A bit of a pain blowing it up though, but hey, you’ve nothing better to do whilst waiting for the water to boil.”
    the newer down mats come with a bag/inflator, three pumps and it is good to go . i must admit i love mine but various people including my son have had problems with them delaminating .now me being a fat bastid i reckoned mine would be a nap to go but so far (two years + ) it has been flawless .

Spin
    Free Member

You’re going to struggle to find anything comfier than an air bed.

CountZero

I’ve got a Gelert that I bought for £17, reduced from £70-ish, because it was end of line, which inflates to 10cm, and I’ve found it to be very comfy indeed. They still do one that goes up to 5cm, which ought to be fine, and is currently reduced to about 50%:
    http://www.gelert.com/gelert-adventure-xl-self-inflating-mattress-782025

CountZero

Damn, a double post, I got hijacked by some poxy prize win site when I hit post, and didn’t realise it had already been sent. 👿

dropoff

Can’t recommend Alpkit beds, we have 2 and they both go down overnight.

RustyNissanPrairie

Best thing I ever slept on was borrowed from someone in the states. It was essentially upholstery foam in a cover. Having slept on plain upholstery foam at someone’s house (inside) it was similarly very comfortable indeed, so might be worth a look.

I work in the foam industry (we make 10k tons a year) – I always take a nice soft piece of thick Ether PU foam with us when we go camping-great nights kip. Rolled up in a draw string/top type bag it isnt too bad size wise.

simonpedley

The outwell dreamcatcher is really comfortable. Plenty of depth and it doesn’t roll like an air bed. They are expensive, but we got ours in a go outdoors sale. They don’t roll down very small, but the bag is nothing compared to the bag the air tent comes in!

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Another vote for the Outwell ones. They’re as comfier than an airbed – but I don’t find airbeds particularly comfortable.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

OP the below link is the ones I was talking about, have gone up to £58 now with the discount card

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/outwell-dreamcatcher-sleeping-mat-single-10cm-p366436

molgrips
    Free Member

I work in the foam industry

Hmm.. do you sell small quantities to the public?

trademark
    Free Member

+1

Gunz
    Free Member

We’ve got the Vango 10 and with a quilt on top it’s as good as sleeping at home and a thousand times better than an air bed. As you’ve identified though, it doesn’t roll up very small.

RustyNissanPrairie

+1

No, but if you are local (Rossendale) I can sort some foam out for beer money.

ahsat

We’ve slept on Alpkit dozers for 2-3 week stints several times as well as long weekends whenever we have the van. Valve on the new ones self inflates pretty well. Doesn’t need too much breath at the end. I have a bad back and it works well for me and the thick foam means it’s warm, even in the winter in the Lakes.

scotroutes

For car camping we take a great big thick Outwell airbed and a thick sheet to put on top of it. It isn’t sweaty, bouncy or cold.

That. Outwell double sleeping bag and we manage in temps down to 0c.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Tip:most delamination is caused by not opening them in the morning.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Tip:most delamination is caused by not opening them in the morning.

Is that what alpkit told you as well ?

They were adament that was what we had done when ours lasted 2 weeks into a tour round nz – you know where i put the sleeping mat into my pannier every day. It wouldnt fit with the valve closed.

Funnily enough the thermarests we replaced them with at serious expense have lasted 10 years without shitting them selves.

Stoves and sleeping mats are too important to cut corners imo.

Spin
    Free Member

Can’t recommend Alpkit beds, we have 2 and they both go down overnight.

[1970s] If only the missus did the same. [/1970s]

pirahna
    Free Member

I wasn’t impressed with the Alpkit self inflating mats, I could never find a comfortable setting. For car camping I use a Thermarest Neoair Dream, for lightweight an Exped Synmat. Both are air beds. I fully inflate the mat, lie on it and let air out so that I sink into it. My back isn’t great but I have no problems camping.

nickdavies

I’ve had various sim’s for years never a thermarest but had most other mid range makes. Most last a couple of years but I probably don’t treat them that well.

Bought an exped down mat last year for an extended Alps trip and it really is a great bit of kit, comfy and warm but a bit of a ball ache to put up.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is that what alpkit told you as well ?

Naah I used to sell ’em. I mean you have to do it as soon as you get out of bed, or a small bleed if the tent is getting hot and you’re still in it.

Posh ones will also blister if not opened as the sun comes up.

Marko

Alpkit ones are shite. (Four bought and four returned).

Gelert owned by Sports direct, so stuff that.

The correct answer is Thermorest Dream time:

Zzzzz . . .Zzzz

Fantastic warranty and after sales. Made in Ireland, so support some EU manufacturing and don’t buy even more Chinese crap.

Hth
    Marko

Stoner
    Free Member

we have 2x Alpkit Fat Airics (before the dozer) for car camping and find them very comfortable and never had any quality issues with them.

Prior to that Mrs Stoner and I slept 3 months in a row on original thermarests (3/4). We were young and supple back then. I think it would cripple me now.

molgrips
    Free Member

No, but if you are local (Rossendale) I can sort some foam out for beer money.

That was my originaly question, then I thought best not to be cheeky and ask properly 😉

Next time I’m up there for work I might take you up on that.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

We had most of our original Alpkit ones replaced without any bother and it seems so far that the current generation ones are more reliable.

worldrallyteam
    Free Member

I have just bought Multimat Camper 75’s. These a 3″ thick. Not used them camping yet, but have used 25 before.

damion
    Free Member

I’ve had the following:

Some vango thing: Huge but very comfy

Alpkit Dozer: Deflates overnight, but the cat may have had something to do with that

Thermarest NeoAir: Deflates overnight in winter, suffered from cold spots. Cat’s been nowhere near it.

Exped Synmat: Most comfy yet, have just come back from Norway, snow holing, thermometer on my watch read 34C all night. -15C outside! Would recommend.

grum
    Free Member

Not self-inflating but I find my Alpkit Numo very comfy and super-light – it’s not the warmest though. I have a couple of Alpkit’s self-inflating ones and don’t find them very comfy but they are a bit warmer.

trail_rat
    Free Member

can vouch for the thermarest neoair xlite being both comfy and warm :d

The venture although cheaper its not as warm but the materials thicker.

bros
    Free Member

Tried Mountain Equipment Helium 3.8 and Thermarest NeoAir Venture (not self inflating, you have to use your lungs) and both are very comfy and in the £40-60 range.

juanking

Another vote here for the Vango 10’s comfort. Very comfortable and warm but the pack size is huge however for car camping that’s no issue.

Markie
    Free Member

We have an Exped Megamat 10 and it is fantastic, actual real life bed-like comfort levels, except width wise. Ace. Provided you don’t have to carry it far.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Self-inflating mats’ is closed to new replies.