• This topic has 11 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by br.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Self employed and the cycle to work scheme
  • Willie-hangon
    Free Member

Have an invoice here for my new whyte, as i am self employed can I claim on the cycle to work scheme? I self certify my accounts each year with the help of an accountant friend. Anybody with some helpful advice please

IanHaughton
    Free Member

I'd bury it deep within in your annual accounts as a business asset and write it off in 3-4yrs time if I was you, which I am not especially if your a tax inspector trying to find out how people fund their biking habit 😀

simon_g

Need to be an employee and paid more than minimum wage (ie the deductions don't take you under minimum wage) to be eligible. Sorry.

tang
    Free Member

my road bike i put through as a expense, plus all repairs, parts etc. i only use it to get to clients where possible.

Shak47

I had a ltd company as self employed IT consultant, bought a Rockhopper Pro with a company cheque, used the Rockhopper for the commute for a few years and held as an asset until I crashed and wrote it off the books "cough".
    That way bike comes off the companies money rather than say taking a dividend out to buy one, which would subject to tax etc.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

interesting, could you do that as a sole trader?

druidh
    Free Member

Not sure that would work, although a large basket on the bars would enable you to carry a selection of fresh fish

walla24
    Free Member

lol!
    ^^^^ post of the day ^^^^

nosherduke996
    Free Member

I am a sole trader, and my accountant told me i could claim mileage allowance for work providing i kept some sort of record and i didn,t take the piss.
    I am not sure how much a mile it is though and if i did claim, then i would be doing myself out of money because of my van expenses which is worth more.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

i'll be putting an old Pashley on expenses then druidh 😉

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

AFAIK, C2W is for employees only, not self-employed agents. If I'm wrong, someone let me know, as I have 3 bikes to claim against. 8)

br
    Free Member

Put them in your accounts, and get the VAT back also.

Buy them as a company asset, have all the paperwork just 'rename' them on your accounts and put them under IT?

Seriously though if you were a Director of a LTD company you could just buy them as a business asset and write-off after 12 months – this is a by-product of the C2W scheme, the employer side.

See the other post that is floating around on C2W.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Self employed and the cycle to work scheme’ is closed to new replies.