Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • self catering in olu deniz?
  • sadexpunk

already got ‘hol 1’ booked in cyprus in september, and are now looking for a cheapy extra hol in may. chosen turkey for the heat and now its been chosen we’re looking for the best place we can get on a budget.
    went to marmaris last year and enjoyed ourselves, mainly cos icmeler was just a few miles away tho, marmaris was a bit crap really. people have advised olu deniz or side, so we’re looking at whats available.

we like hot sunny hols, self catering so we can see a bit of the place, plus its nice to get out if the hotels a bit rubbish. we’re mainly only seeing b&b’s or all inclusives tho rather than SC. dont mind those if theyre cheap enough as like i say, you can bypass the canteen grub and go out and about, but we like the thought of apartments where we can mebbes make our own food sometimes and stick the kettle on for a coffee now and then.

anyone gone the self catering route here with any success?

and are there any good/bad parts to Olu Deniz or Side? any recommendations?

thanks

steve-g
    Free Member

Ooh, one I can answer on.

Went there last year, stayed up the hill in Hisaronu, stayed in one of these villas. We had stayed in the Seabreeze hotel before and that is good also. Nice location, near the road for the dolmus down to Olu Deniz, 5 mins walk to the town centre of Hisaronu. Hotel apartment or villa would be good depending on how many of you are going.

We went in August, and Olu Deniz was just too hot, Hisaronu despite being only maybe 3k away is way up the hill so gets the breeze. In May this would probably not be a problem though.

I liked Olu Deniz & Hisaronu, with Hisaronu being the more trashy English of the two but the further you walked away from the centre the better quality and cheaper everything got. Definitely don’t go All Inc, it is so cheap out there that you can eat out for every meal

sadexpunk

thanks mate, just been having a look at that hotel, coming in too rich for us tho. are we going to be priced out of OD then if hisaronus too dear? also just seen the transfer times 1hr 45 :-/
    we had that at marmaris last year so we said this year we going to try and make the whole travelling experience a bit better, decent flight times and transfers. i realise you cant have both then if we set on OD.

any places closer to an airport maybe? its a big old country and i know we started on OD, but we dont really know the country and would be willing to consider anywhere nicer than marmaris really if anyones got any suggestions. budget would prob be around £300 pp inc flights.

thanks

jfletch
    Free Member

We went a couple of years ago. Stayed just over the hill near Fethiye. From memory there was loads of self catering holiday lets there. IMO it was nicer than Olu Deniz as it was a real town but still a nice holiday place with a harbour, restaurants, beaches etc. Only a 20 min drive to Olu Deniz to visit there if it floats your boat.

Do go paragliding. The journey up is a bit hairy but soaring off the top of a 2000m high mountain and landing on the beach really can’t be beaten.

sadexpunk

hmmmm….not sure i fancy paragliding 😀

anyone heard of kidrak beach or faralya? these are names coming up in searches which seem to imply nicer, quieter beaches near olu deniz/ fethiye.

stumpy_m4
    Free Member

The views from the top of bagadag mountain are stunning :), we stayed up the hill last year more hisaronu/ovcik … stayed all inclusive, food was very average at hotel and so ate out a fair bit, food was lovley and cheap , main and pudding and a couple of drinks each for myself and the wife , total of £14 .. very cheap to eat out ….. Excursions are dirt cheap out there as well, compared to sharm el sheikh where we were before xmas

flashpaul
    Free Member

Dedem hotel in Hisaronu
    Bookings are dealt with by a Brit , Angela
    Ask for an apartment in the new block
    They will sort airport transfers as well if you like

sadexpunk

keep reading hisaronu is the tacky part of OD. is that right or is it all relative? nowhere near as bad as marmaris?

flashpaul, tried looking for that hotel but cant see it on any of the major players lists. who did you go with? tripadvisor gives it good ratings.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Haven’t been back for a few years now, but used be a regular visitor to Fethiye – there used to be some nice hotels to the west of the town. No beach to speak of, but more to see and do in the town. May be very different now though . . . .

flashpaul
    Free Member

I book directly with the hotel and arrange flights separately
    Its true that hisaronu is a lot more ‘British’ than OD but theres more restaurants in hisaronu
    Its cheap to travel between the resorts
    There are people trying to sell you things and get you into their bars/restaurants but its relatively low key

sadexpunk

yeah weve done marmaris so know how it can be 🙂 who did you use for flights, and how much did you pay for transfers? did it come in around the same price as the travel agents?

Riksbar

Buzz Bar is possibly my favourite bar in the world.

[/url] Short finals to beer – Olu Deniz by riksbar, on Flickr[/img]

keng38
    Free Member

Take a look at Calis beach area, outside Fethiye. Plenty of English property owners in the area who rent out.
    May could be a bit early season for Oludeniz and Hisoranu is like Blackpool (& Marmaris). Great if you want full English and loud music till early hours.
    Fethiye is open all year round and along the promenade are some fantastic restaurants as well as bars, cafes etc.
    if you want a beach holiday then Oludeniz or Calis are main ones in the area.

Cheap hotel in Oludeniz is the Morina, bit of a walk up from the beach but I can recommend it. If you want a Private Rental in Calis/Fethiye I can point you in the right direction. Calis has a growing Cycling club as well.

sadexpunk

thanks all. we got booked now, wife found one in olu deniz with good reviews called the white hotel for £260 each. itll scratch the OD itch, and we’ll have a good look at fethiye and hisaronu too.

thanks for all your help

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘self catering in olu deniz?’ is closed to new replies.