Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Self assessment penalty letter confusion
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

Received a ‘late payment’ letter today from the robbing b!stards at HMRC. I always thought that they wrote to you if you needed to complete a self assessment tax return. I never received one, and we requested child benefit be stopped over a year ago, so I am rather confused about this.

joepose
    Free Member

Snap- me too so your not on your own 🙂
    Tried to call them to resolve, after 40mins of hanging on the phone for my slot I get through to a young lady called Clare. We go through the formalities and begin the conversation when the phone dies because ive been on hold so long 🙁
    Tax doesn’t have to be taxing…………… yeah right!

nickjb
    Free Member

I always thought that they wrote to you if you needed to complete a self assessment tax return.

I’ve never had a letter telling me I need to complete one.

piemonster

My last phone call still vivid in my mind. Having to explain PAYE to them.

I don’t envy you.

wwaswas

I got a letter today with a penalty notice. They didn’t write to tell me to do fill one in, no reminder beforehand. In the past they used to send all the forms through each year.

I’ve reached the conclusion they like making a £100 of lots of people.

totalshell

did you not see all the adverts on telly? the fact that you have spoken to them triggers the need for a form and you send them every year until you die or they tell you to stop.. still whats a 100 quid when it takes like 30 seconds to fill in a form..

allthepies
    Free Member

I used to have to fill in a tax return until they told me I didn’t have to anymore. Which was nice.

brooess
    Free Member

This happened to me 10 years ago. Once you’ve filled in one they expect you to do it for ever more until they tell you otherwise… their failure to tell you this is your fault, apparently, and they’ll happily punish you for it.
    I appealed and got the fine back.
    This year, they’ve reversed their decision from a year ago and decided without reasoning or notice that they’re taking £1400 from me.

scaredypants

I used to have to fill in a tax return until they told me I didn’t have to anymore. Which was nice.

Aye, I got that a few years ago

… took me another 3-4 years to notice that the following year they’d initially added (and then annually doubled) a “tips” entry onto my tax code – they seemingly like to assume that all hospital workers are tipped heavily 😆

craigxxl
    Free Member

If you have previously filed online then the notification is put on your account. As stated above you file until you get a notice from HMRC to stop but remain responsible to checking your situation if you should need to submit again.

mudshark
    Free Member

I find it easiest just to do one each year as always have stuff to tell them about.

deepreddave
    Free Member

If you filed a return last year and haven’t been ‘removed’ from SA then you would be expected to file one this year. HMRC sees the future as digital 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Self assessment penalty letter confusion’ is closed to new replies.