Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Security marking multiple bikes?
  • Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

There’s been a few threads about thefts lately, so being a paranoid person (according to the other half) what options are out there, I think I looked into datatag a while ago but they said you would have to do each bike separately. I’ve usually just taken photos and notes of frame/serial numbers and the kit on them, but if nicked it looks likely that they’ll be stripped, numbers removed and sold on in pieces making it difficult to track down. My partner says ‘they’re insured’ but I get attached to them, so what options are there?

Anyone actually had a bike returned because it was datatagged or security marked?

Onzadog
    Free Member

Just because you’re paranoid, doesn’t mean they’re not out to get you.

Mine are insured as well. If they go, I’m not sure how I’d feel about getting them back. My efforts are focused more in prevention.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Mine aren’t insured so I’m more concerned with prevention.
    Always carry the bike in the car,never use a rack.
    On Strava never start or finish a road ride near my house,also Strava I.D does not use my surname.
    Remove seat,pedals & wheels from bikes.Frames kept in house or attic.
    Probably OTT but as they’re not insured I try my best to keep hold of them…

survivor

I picked up the bike register kits from my local police station for £10 each. Check to see if they do the same in your area.

You get microdot solution, and uv paint stuff then register it in the website with a pic and description.

nickdavies

I’ve got a bottle of DNA stuff from Bikmo when I took insurance out – I’ve used it but tbh I think it’s only a lot of use if you lose it to an opportunist, I.e. Locked outside a shop in town. You might then find its on eBay within the week and be able to retrieve it – it’s no real advantage over recording frame numbers etc as most don’t grind them off as it looks obviously stolen then.

I think most of us on here are more at risk from hi value targeted theft and that’s when they get stripped and gone. Just do everything you can to keep them in your possession if you’re attached to them.

TheDTs
    Free Member

I made some very durable labels at work. It’s the same stuff car manufacturers use for vin plates. They are dotted around on the bikes and forks. They really are difficult to get off they are in hard to spot and easy to spot places so hopefully there would be one or two left on. Some are very small so very unlikely to be spotted by anyone but me so I can easily I’d my own bike if the police find it.
    Having said all that. Recent experience round our way. The police dont give a crap about tracking down or returning stolen bikes even if a kid at my nephews school is riding their mums bike it to school every day. They. asked why my nephews hadnt taken it back from said scrote!

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I tend to be careful, but luckily I live in a very quiet road, but do all of the above, don’t use a bike rack it goes in the car, don’t use strava etc.

survivor – don’t think my local police do something like that, looked on their website and nothing, they did something like it about 3 years ago.

A bit of googling found ‘Alpha Dot’ which looks like a similar thing to the micro dots from bike register, you can do up to 5 bikes for about £15 which seems ok.

survivor

Give your community Bobby a ring. They may have kits left over/spare or just not be advertising it to well.

Worth a try.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Security marking multiple bikes?’ is closed to new replies.