Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Security in t'garage – what chain etc
  • Neil_Bolton
    Free Member

Evening all.

Having stupidly stumbled across the local Bristol Trails Group postings on Facebook and scared myself silly (again) with the tales of people being followed home and all that usual guff, I’m once again looking at security.

Having done rather a lot to firm up the garage (not going to specifically say what, but it’s pretty good, including ground anchors, yada yada), I’m once again reviewing it; I’ve come across 16mm and 19mm chains that are used more for motorbikes:

http://www.torc-anchors.com/products.php?cat=High+Security+Chain+and+Lock+deals

Although £369 is a lot for a chain to lock your bikes, it’s feeling rather worth it to have piece of mind that my bikes are as well defending as they can be…

Anyone gone down this route to further secure their bikes? Does anyone else have any particular angles of defence against theftage they would like to share?

I’d getting so paranoid that I’m starting to think I should ride off ride as much as I can on the way home just to avoid being followed!

sam42
    Free Member

Pragmasis look good, give ’em a google…

joemarshall
    Free Member

My bikes are not very expensive, but I did have a bike nicked recently from the shed (300 quid halfords bike!) I now have an alarm (pir sensor) that rings in the house. 30 quid off ebay, and because the souder unit is inside, there’s not much you can do to stop it. wireless, with a battery in the pir, and a power supply for the receiver unit.

The only downside is that if you forget to turn it off when you go in, it is very annoying for whoever is in the house!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

We had a geezer try and pry our garage door last year.

Follow up results were a few things we never thought of (neighbour hood watch had a nice chap come round and talk with us).

Result was –

Dont carry bikes outside car.

A PIR outside front and back of garage that turns on a light INSIDE the garage or the house.

A separate PIR that activates outside the gargage front if someone gets really close.

Keyed locks on the bottom of our up and over door (original was only locked with a cable activated latch in the middle of the top of the door).

A battery powered alarm inside the garage (PIR activated).

Remove anthing from the garage that could be used to cut chains / locks.

Decent insurance. Fulfil the minimum requirement of the insurance (eg some policies locking bikes, some locking to anchors, others are different.

Jist of advise was – if they get in – they have all night – day to nosey / hack away / disassemble. Even if they get in and get detered they might come back.

Deter them from picking on you in the first place. There are easier targets.

mrlebowski
    Free Member
    user-removed
    Free Member

My up and over garage door is now bolted to the floor using expanding bolts in the concrete floor. This was after three of our bikes went and after fitting a ground anchor and several chains / alarms etc, they bent the corner of the door up and had another go.

It’s a pain in the neck not having the use of the door, but I can still go through the small door leading into the garden and out onto the road down the side of the garage.

We aslo have a very noisy dog who sleeps light… He’s soft as shite but looks and sounds the part. He’s foiled at least two further attempts at garage break-ins!

eaststandlower
    Free Member

Hi Neil,

Torc also do this, which is what I’m going to install.

http://www.torc-anchors.com/torc-ground-anchor.php

Recommended in a recent MBUK (for what it’s worth) – they had an articale all about bike locks etc. Going to go for the a shed alarm and suitable chains etc to secure it (bike, not alarm)

If you live in Bolton (unless you are a Neil Bolton) I share your pain.

toys19
    Free Member
    johnikgriff
    Free Member

Another Almax vote here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Security in t'garage – what chain etc’ is closed to new replies.