Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Secret winchester downhill track
  • Lummox

Few years ago i used to go downhilling (short twisty track) in winchester, just off of the morestead road in the military range there, Anyone know if this track still exists or there is anything near Southampton thats worth a visit to revive the ol downhill bug.

Thanks Al

dobo
    Free Member

hmm i know morestead road, was over there the other day up fawley lane to cheesefoot head.
    i dont know secret trails but maybe its off there?
    there are trails that lead east and west at the top, maybe one of them leads to it?
    grab an explorer map and try find it, then let me know :0

close by alternatives are exploring SDW and bridleways
    lordswood
    farley mount and surrounding areas

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

Wish I'd know about that. I grew up round there, had I know (had it have been built then) I could have found even more ways to break myself/bike/friends.
    Have you looked on Google earth sat imaging might be good enough.

Lummox

It must have been around 1998, it started just before the woodland nearest to the sewage farm. We used to sneak across the range when the red flags were down. Opening section was a twisty chalk section that led into the woods which then switched back and forth. I'll check it out when I next get a chance and report back.

thomthumb
    Free Member

as far as i know it was there circa 18 months ago – some friend of friends were working on it. where did it start – i'm local and would love to check it out. email me (in profile) if you don't wanna be too public. cheers.

thomthumb
    Free Member

do you know about rogate nr petersfield? some proper dh going on over there. not a huge drop but some decent trails – bout 50mins drive.

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

lummox im also looking for some trails in the southampton.

i was told there are some in the lords hill area, but i have never been there.

Lummox

I've heard about the track in lordswood, apparently there's a good 90 minute xc loop too, all i've found there is a single track that has a road gap jump in it, quite good fun. Be interested in more.

thomthumb – didn't know about rogate, is it common knowledge or a secret track (i'd be interested in finding out more)

The winchester track was hard to find the start of, but easy once you knew, the way in was located at the final bend on morestead road before the hill down to the motorway junction (if my memory serves me) I can't find anything on google earth to suggest the field part of it still exists. Encouraging to hear 18 months ago something was going on near there, it's a super nice short steep bit, be a waste to just leave it be.

thomthumb
    Free Member

rogate after a few years of unofficial building is sanctioned by the FC, you have to join the local club to get insurance (£10 a year iirc)

there is enough for a day's riding there. located roughly here

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=479225&y=125375&z=120&sv=479225,125375&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=647&ax=479225&ay=125375&lm=0

if anyone wants a tour of lordswood mail me i'm happy to show you around.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Secret winchester downhill track’ is closed to new replies.