• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by j2b2.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Secondhand rockrider
  • j2b2
    Free Member

Hi
    I’m in Spain for a bit and thought I might pick up a secondhand btwin / rockrider as there seem to be a lot around. What are the better older models to look out for? I am ideally looking for a good hard tail… something light and low maintenance. I am expecting to be mainly riding fire roads with some rough sections but nothing too technical.
    Thanks.

hainman
    Free Member

I had a Rockrider 9.1 full suss for years,it was only 600 quid new and at the time-out many HT’s came with the spec this had,it ran the Boardman close to 5 stars in the MBUK grand bike test a few years ago,the 8.1 is the `Ht i would look for

doubleu
    Free Member

Rockrider 8.1 – the grey/silver one. I still have mine as a winter bike. Its bomb proof and super easy to maintain. Wheels are heavy but solid. Avid Elixer 3 brakes have gave me no trouble. Others may disagree!

Should come with a rockshox recon tk silver spring 100mm fork. Simple, reliable, easy to rip apart and service when needed.

j2b2
    Free Member

Thanks,
    I picked up an older 26″ Rafal 740 (ex Rockrider 8,3?) in practically new condition from a secondhand bike store.
    https://www.decathlon.es/bicicleta-de-montaa-btwin-rafal-740-id_8314897.html
    Weighs 12 kilos with pedals in Large 🙂
    Feels a little weird riding it because the position is so different and lower than my double suspension bike but the quality feels superb for the price.
    I have just a few questions as this is my first XC bike:
    1. The bike came with Hutchinson Python tyres and they are like new – but they look really thin compared to the Fat Alberts on my other bike – are the Pythons good enough for high speed cornering on dry but varied surfaces? I am going to be riding gravel, dirt and sand, plus some harder rocky stuff and wonder if I need a bit more lateral grip.
    2. It is dry here but is it worth getting mud guards to try to stop the spray of gravel into my face? This is a bit off putting at high speeds 🙂
    3. Also Is there a cheap equivalent of the lever driven dropper seat Decathlon used to sell? I miss having a dropper seat but I guess it is not essential..
    Cheers.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Secondhand rockrider’ is closed to new replies.