Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Secondhand Pike 454 Airs. They are leaking oil/air advice
  • hora
    Free Member

Pike airs, invert the forks and compress (on slow rebound), now they are leaking a mix of air and oil from bewteen the compression cap and floodgate all down the stanchions in enough quantity to leave a pool on the kitchen floor. compress the right way up and it just forces air out through the dials. If fitted to a bike. they will be devoid of air and oil in the right leg before Ive made a 100metres..

Is there a fix I can apply or is it off to Flooks?

slowrider
    Free Member

sounds like flooks! they arent the worst forks in the world to tinker with though, give tf a ring and talk to them about what needs doing, see how comfortable you feel about it. i did this when i needed to replace my negative air chamber as i broke the valve off on a rock and they were great. i wouldnt have minded sending it to them normally but id only had them pushed 2 weeks prior! parts arent cheap but what is right now?!

Kieron
    Free Member

It's just a dodgy O ring as far as I know as it happens a lot with Pikes. Mine did the same, until I took the floodgate dial off then put a bit of rubber between the dial and the compression adjuster. Pushed the Floodgate dial down hard and tightend up the little grubscrew.

And I'm pretty sure there's no air in the right leg to loose, it's just all the damping gubbins in that leg.

hora
    Free Member

Kieron, when you say abit of rubber- you mean innertube cut to say the size of the top of a Shraeder valve?

Ive no problem messing with any mechanics. Last week I removed the whole airbox assembly and associated pipes just to check the oil level on my front diff! (car)

Kieron
    Free Member

Yeah that's right Hora. Then just pierce a little hole in the center so you can slide it on to the little shaft that the Floodgate Dial fixes on to. Slide the floodgate dial back on and push down on it while you tighten it up. Seems the extra pressure on the compression dial gives it a better seal.

Might not work for you, but it's worth ago as it sorted mine out.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

This may help.

<http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/puffing-pikes&gt;

Not technically a dodgy o ring – just a bit of poor design. Its only retained by an interference fit.

qwerty
    Free Member

mine do this, i keep em right way up only now, bear in mind if the oils pissed out the fork has no lube in that leg so service it

hora
    Free Member

Thank you guys. qwerty Ive just bought the forks secondhand. Only realised there was a problem when I got them home. I dont think the previous owner would cough up towards a service 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

[wondering]has Hora ever owned a set of of forks long enough to service them[/wondering]

hora
    Free Member

Jeesus dude. That is one long username 😯

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

the o-ring on the floodgate isn't designed to stop the oil coming out!!

If the internal seals work correctly, the oil will never get there. The seal that has gone is inside the Motion Control damper.

Its the 'flared' seal in this thread,
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=3478850
    Below where the yellow line is drawn.

Best bet is just to send the damper to TFtuned. Full service not necessary.

hora
    Free Member

Will do. Ta. Any idea how to unfreeze a froken compression dial as well? (Lyrik coils). Its siezed at full off position (anti-clockwise)

hora
    Free Member

Junkyard. I have. After a year of owning Pikes I put them up for sale on here as 'spares or repair/dont think your getting a bargain'. They were very badly marked allover and in the end I think I got £80 for them. I was honest in describing them.

qwerty
    Free Member

TFTuned Lower Lube Kit £15.00

easy to "service" lower legs to replace lost oil, "s'posed" to be done every 10hrs of use

hora
    Free Member

Well they dont like when ridden horizontally. I need to use them whilst my Lyriks are back under warranty. On the air- Ive put equal in as per instructions on the leg. In reality do you have one lower than the other? They are a bit bloody firm to ride at equal pressure!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Secondhand Pike 454 Airs. They are leaking oil/air advice’ is closed to new replies.