Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Secondary Glazing Film
  • wallop

We’ve had an offer accepted on a Victorian house with large single glazed sash windows. Whilst the plan is to replace these with double glazed timber sashes, this probably won’t happen til spring.

Would secondary glazing film be a good temporary measure over the winter? Where’s the best place to get it – is there a particular product we should be looking for?

spooky_b329

Can’t see it being worth it for one winter?

You can get that film you stretch over the window and then use a hairdryer to tighten it up I think.

spooky_b329

Also if you are at offer stage, you’ll probably be halfway through winter before you move in!

wallop

Would this be the secondary glazing film I’m referring to in the OP? 😆

joshvegas
    Free Member

Having lived in crap edinburgh tenements….

Yes it helps but stuffing all the gaping holes around them should be your first priority!

Not suggesting your house is crap!

sandwicheater

Thought this was a post about a new film (movie) with the world worst title. I’ll go away now.

EDIT: He is wallop, just heard him mutter ‘wallop’s new gaff is crap’. FIGHT!!

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Yes, as said ^^^ plug the gaps so there is a dead air layer between the glass and the film. You apply double sided tape to the frame, stick the film in place and shrink it tight with a hair dryer. Works a treat. We work in a listed barn and it made a massive difference but stopping cold draughts will help.

johndoh
    Free Member

Scrounge really heavy lined curtains (from Freecycle if you can) and make do?

neilwheel
    Free Member

It does make a big difference and not too long to fit if you are reasonably practical. As above, seal any gaps between sash and frame first.

Clean the frame, IPA etc, so the tape has a clean surface to stick to. You can temporarily stick the sheet in place, with a light touch and then reposition it to get most of the creases out.
    If you have a lot of creases the temptation is to put more heat on until the tension is too much for the tape.

I think I bought the last batch from Screwfix.
    They are all of a muchness, you can buy extra tape if you need it.

spooky_b329

Not sure if you were editing the OP whilst I posted or I just didn’t read it properly, thought you were thinking of proper secondary glazing 🙂

wallop

Thanks Neil – that’s just the advice I was after.

neilwheel
    Free Member

You’re welcome.

I’ll edit the above to “a very light touch” at the corners to hold it up.
    Then tension at the mid points in both directions, work out to the corners.
    After you done the hairdryer, nip round with a straight edge and scalpel or Stanley and it’s almost invisible.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Secondary Glazing Film’ is closed to new replies.