Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Second guitar threaf of 2011, recommend me a…
  • toab
    Free Member

accoustic bass guitar, not too pricey. I’m a double bass player really but I’m toying with the idea of getting something smaller for nights when I can’t be bothered with the biggun.

I’m after a smooth, sustained sound rather than a snappy or thumpy one.

Any ideas anyone?

Long shot on a mountain biking forum but you never know. Cheers

lodious
    Free Member

How much is not too pricey?

toab
    Free Member

350 would be the absolute limit

lodious
    Free Member

I must admit, it’s not something I know much about, but all the ones I’ve heard don’t offer much in the way of a sustained bass sound, they only seem to generate the attack of the note, with nothing behind.

toab
    Free Member

Yeah, I’ve found the same thing, they all go thump or twang and then stop. But I thought there might be something out there somewhere.

Alternatively double bass trailer?

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Check out Aria’s AMB-50b. I’ve the fretless version and it has an acceptably (to me) round tone, volume and sustain, at least for what it is. Acoustic basses are rarely good for playing with anything other than one or two acoustic guitarist – it’s just so hard to get volume in bass with such a relatively small body.

I’d recommend staying well away from Tanglewood – thin and quiet to a fault, same as many of their acoustic guitars.

Have you tried Thomastik strings on your upright? I use them on my Aria and they really bring a lot to it – beautiful strings. Balanced gauges and a really full, loud sound. Very pricey for an upright, but there-or-thereabouts for normal normal strings (link).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Second guitar threaf of 2011, recommend me a…’ is closed to new replies.