Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Second chance for a new smartphone – suggestions?
  • MikeT-23
    Free Member

Just had confirmation that I can return the Nokia N8 which promised so much but delivered so little.
    This gives me a chance to choose something else from Vodafone’s array of smartphone products.
    I’d never perviously considered an iPhone as I’m not really a one for the iLife that goes along with it, but after the frustration of this Nokia, I just want something that’d be simple straight out of the box, as I’m led to believe the iPhone is.

[update] iPhone’s not an option anyway due to slightly different contract structure.

So what else is out there? Obviously I’ll have a look at the website and go back in to a store for a touchy-feely session, but help me narrow it down, please.

Features that would appeal:
    decent camera
    drag’n’drop option for music files (nae proprietary software please)
    decent maps/nav capability
    email options
    web browsing
    video calling
    chick magnetism and all round social acceptance
    other stuff I didn’t know I wanted

thanking thee in advance

geoffj

HTC Desire

I have one and an iPhone. The iPhone edges it, but only just IMHO.

etchacan
    Free Member

HTC Desire:-

Features that would appeal:
    decent camera – 5.0 Megapixels
    drag’n’drop option for music files simply mount as a removable drive on PC
    decent maps/nav capability Google Maps included – CoPilot is fantastic, and under £30 though
    email options web, POP, IMAP, exchange support…
    web browsing Built in browser, or install Opera or Firefox for Android
    video calling only thing I’m not sure about…
    chick magnetism and all round social acceptance Looks good, works well, NOT an iPhone!!
    other stuff I didn’t know I wanted Check out the Android App Store

That enough? 🙂

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soma_rich
    Free Member

Sony Xperia?
    Brilliant! loving mine with Android 2.1 🙂

Clobber
    Free Member

google nexus S

Dibbs
    Free Member

Desire HD, like a Desire but more betterer.

fatboyslo
    Free Member

Dibbs – Member
    Desire HD, like a Desire but more betterer.

+ 1

midlifecrashes

I had a play with the Motorola Defy the other day. More pocketable size than some smartphones and robust, without losing features. Android 2.1, but 2.2 promised if that bothers you. Am pondering deals now.

DickBarton

Desire doesn’t have front-mounted camera so video calling is out but I think the Desire HD does have one (and a fancier screen).

I went for the Desire as I’d heard the Desire HD battery life was next to terrible – turns out it is – mate has one and unplugs it at 08:00 when he leaves the house – and has to plug in back in when he gets home at 17:00 as the phone is next to flat. I think he has everything turned on though so it’s hardly surprising.

Another mate has the Desire HD and seems to be getting on very well with it.

I think they are very good phones and I’m glad I went with the Desire as the HD feels like a monster in my hand whereas the Desire just feels big.

Although I suspect if I had the choice again I’d probably go for the Desire HD…

toys19
    Free Member

I have a desire hd since yesterday, so far so good..

br
    Free Member

Quite interesting that the main reason I have a phone isn’t in your list…

What about a Nokia E71, does everything plus reliable and a decent battery.

CountZero

What about a Nokia E71, does everything plus reliable and a decent battery.

But you still have to put up with a shonky interface. Which is fine if you never do anything other than text and phone, and take the occasional photo, but the current iteration of Symbian doesn’t work very well as a smartphone OS.

loddrik
    Free Member

After a dabble with android I went back to an iPhone and will never stray again!!

Having said that, in terms of hardware, the Desire HD seems to offer the most.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

“My head is in a spin, my feet don’t touch the ground…”

Still no clearer, folks, but that’s more due to me being more sleep deprived than usual and choosing to engage in more screen time than is advisable right now.
    I do appreciate your comments and suggestions. Thank you.

b r – was the missing reason an ability to make phone calls? If not, please tell me what. It is a bit daft, I know, but we’ve been spoiled, and have come to expect so much from our widgetty-gadgetties.

loddrik – what was it about android that put you off? My initial thought is that you prefer something ‘familiar’. Is this right?

So far, then, I’ll peruse a Desire HD and a Sony Errikkssonn Experia…..

G’night.

Pieface

Is there a decent music player for the Desire yet?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Sorry Desire camera is average at best. Megapixel are for Stuff readers.

Bez

I’ve got the Desire; if video calling is important look at the Samsung Galaxy S, but it’s allegedly significantly worse for GPS performance. Lovely display, though.

The main issue I have with the Desire is the volume buttons – they’re way too easily pressed, and they’re always on (even when the screen is locked) so ringer volume is basically a lottery (though I suspect this is partially fixable with Tasker, I keep meaning to try). One of the very few areas where Nokia still wins is in recognising that the phone bit isn’t an afterthought.

Battery life is pretty poor but most smartphones are (oh, this’ll be the only other area where Nokia still wins). At least you can get a spare battery though (and, for the non-HD model only, extended batteries).

The Desire camera is surprisingly good. Vignette is a must-have application if you intend using the camera.

The Desire does rock hard, though. If they took the volume buttons off and offered a fatter battery it wouldn’t be far off as perfect as phones currently get.

FWIW Dolphin is my browser of choice on Android, much better than all the others IME.

Bez

Sorry Desire camera is average at best.

If you accept that cameraphones are always going to be fairly useless in low light and blow highlights very easily then I actually think it’s a great performer. ‘Straight’ shots from Vignette show good detail – I reckon you could get a surprisingly good 9×6″ print without much trouble and perhaps larger still on matte paper. Interestingly I haven’t seen any purple fringing from it and shadow noise is pretty well controlled.

We were away for a few days last month – I had the Desire, a GF1 and a Ricoh GR, and about 80-90% of the shots I took were with the Desire. And I didn’t get back and (as I thought I might, TBH) discover on viewing them on a monitor that I’d just wasted my time.

Vignette can also be configured for great street shooting: fixed focus, high ISO B&W, and no on-screen preview – it’s as stealth as it gets and the results are very usable.

br
    Free Member

b r – was the missing reason an ability to make phone calls?

Yes, plus bluetooth into car kits and the best bit, loudspeaker for when I’m talking and need two hands for writing etc.

Also like the SportsTracker on the Nokia, and the ability to still be able to use the phone after a full day of ‘tracking’.

Interface wise, yes its not as good as the iPhone – but then, when I started in IT we still used punch cards, de-mountable hard disks and hand wrote programmes onto coding sheets, I’m easily pleased 😉

GrahamS

Well OP says iPhone’s apparently out – so I can’t offer much useful 😉 , but I will say:

video calling

Really? Does anyone actually use this??
    (bar the first couple of goes while showing off to your mates).

I did some work on mobile monitoring systems a couple of years ago and the usage rate of video calling was absolutely tiny. No one wants to see the inside of your nostrils while you talk to them.

loddrik
    Free Member

MikeT, iOS is just slicker, more intuitive and just works as it should all the time. The apps are of a much higher quality, though I’m sure android will catch up at some point. So much is made of it as being open and customisable. In my experience this wears think pretty quickly, better to have something that’s just right out of the box. as I said, I tried to like it but I just ended up appreciating iOS all the more.

toys19
    Free Member

Really? Does anyone actually use this??
    (bar the first couple of goes while showing off to your mates).

I did some work on mobile monitoring systems a couple of years ago and the usage rate of video calling was absolutely tiny. No one wants to see the inside of your nostrils while you talk to them.

I think is astute.

takisawa2

Desire HD here, for the last 6 weeks. Very happy with it. Battery started off chronic, but seemed to get better. With all the stuff on it will last a couple of days easily. Cane the web & GPS & it will last barely a day, but most large-screen phones are the same. I got a cheap desktop dock for it, that I leave at work, might get another at home. When sat by my PC it makes a very posh clock/weather station.:-)
    Adding music is simple. The HT Sync software actually seems to work well also. Windows Media Player has no problems interacting with it.
    Only dissapointment was it not coming up as a drive when plugged into my Xbox, despite the phone being set as a Disk Drive.
    I bought it because of the screen, its spot on. GPS is excellent, very accurate. Can locate perfectly even in the middle of the shop floor in our factory. Hardly use the laptop for web browsing at home now.
    I looked at the iphone4, & it seemed “smoother”, as in the operating system, but smaller screen & twice the price. iPhone4 screen is crystal clear though, really really nice.

Del

got my desire a couple of months ago now, and am really happy with it. wondered about the desire HD, but this appeared to have the same resolution screen as the regular desire, but bigger, which i didn’t really see the benefit of TBH.
    anyhow. good bit of kit.

MikeT-23
    Free Member

If only my calls were a bit more fruity, I wouldn’t be worried about my nostrils beeing exposed!

In fact, I have used it in the past when distanced from my daughter, and calling her mum’s phone to get a wee bit of face-to-face time. That’s important to me.
    The fruity stuff? Nah.

Still appreciative of all the input folks. Thanks again.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Second chance for a new smartphone – suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.