Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Second Bike in Morzine
  • mk1fan
    Free Member

Right guys and gals,

If all goes well and I am a Summer seasonaire this year in Morzine what second bike should I take?

Main bike will be a Cove G-Spot.

Choices for the second bike are;
    Hustler
    Stiffee
    Handjob

I'm leaning towards either the Stiffee or the Handjob. It's primary function will be for 'guest' use. But clearly if the Spot fails then I'll be using it.

So what are the STW thoughts?

Mackem

Road bike.

allthegear
    Free Member

yep – road bike. I borrowed one for an afternoon out there and it was really good. The climb from Morzine to Avoriaz really tested me and it was a hell of a lot more frightening coming back down than doing the Pleney run on the big bike…

GEDA
    Free Member

The ride up from Morzine is long but its not exactly hard, it is flat as anything. I did it no bother on an Orange Patriot

Pete
    Free Member

Yup, got to be a road bike, there's Col de Joux Plane and as previously mentioned Avoriaz both excellent test of the legs..

forge197
    Free Member

Hustler or Stiffee for Guest use as both would cope well with trails, only downside is shock and forks on the Hustler might not suit the weight of the guest and there is more wear and tear items.

danridesbikes
    Free Member

waste of time taking a hardtail, i took one a few years back and barely used it compared to my patriot, so like the others say, for something different take a road bike

danridesbikes
    Free Member

Geda – which route? the road from morzine to the bottom of the lift up to Avoriaz or the road which takes you past

mk1fan
    Free Member

It's not that I want to take something different as any guest will likely be mountain biking too.

Hhmmm, hadn't thought of a Road bike. Got space for three bikes so may take a third. Or just hire one for the day.

mandog

Take a downhill bike. Something decent like a 224 with Fox 40's.

DrRSwank
    Free Member

Stiffee.

Although it depends how well you ride. Worked with a guide there about 5 years back road an MsIsle all season and could whip guests on Demos down the DH runs.

I'd worry about the Handjob surviving the season.

Borrow / hire a road bike if the urge takes you.

Conor
    Free Member

G-Spot as main bike?! Personally I'd have a proper DH bike like a Giant Glory, Sunday, Socom etc to enjoy the DH trails, then a beefy Stiffee or 5" trial bike with strong wheels and tres to do the long days out.

mandog

Cove Shocker?

Ambrose

I'm just wishing that I was in your position. I'll be marking exercise books instead of doing the right thing, having fun on the bike.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Took the Shocker last year but other than a practice run of the Mega and a day out in Pila I didn't use it. I took the Hustler instead.

I rode a Stiffee the first time I went and felt completely battered by the end of the week.

I'm leaning towards either the Stiffee or the Hustler.

mandog

I guess the Alps just isn't downhill bike territory.

mk1fan
    Free Member

The majority of the time I want to be doing the kind of singletrack / trails that Lionel took us on last year rather than the pounding the Plenney all the time.

May squeeze a stripped down Shocker into the luggage but that isn't going to help or be an option for the 'Guest' bike.

Forge197 – suspension on both Hustler and Stiffee can be tuned to provide suitable plushness for potential Guests.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

g-spot wont fail… ur a cove fan?

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i have a inbred atm…i rekon id happily do the mega on it…but without full sus ur body just might wear out…so as a second bike for yourself i rekon the stiffee…but as a guestbike it wont be as good. and u may tire of riding if the g-spot brakes….which it wont…

mk1fan
    Free Member

Slightly. Hey, they suit me perfectly. I haven't ridden my G-Spot yet as I'm awaiting new chainstays from Canada – the boat has either sank or they're stuck in Customs.

As the geo is almost identical – save a longer rear end on the G-Spot – I'm expecting the G-Spot to ride the same as the Stiffee. Oh, it's running all air too.

I'm leaning towards the Hustler.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

i saw sumone downhilling on a hustler yesterday…amazing looking bike…think it had 36's on the front…

mk1fan
    Free Member

I had considered swapping the 36 Talas from the Stiffee onto the Hustler for the Summer.

flap_jack
    Free Member

yep, the descent off the Joux Verte on a road bike (and inherent lack of brakes) knocks spots off most of the pre-prepared off road runs.

Even got a 'Chapeau !' from a Frenchie when I did it…

mk1fan
    Free Member

I rode down the road from Avoiraz on the Stiffee and the High Rollers were very warm by bottom.

crazyjohnyblows
    Free Member

fox's dont like dust…maybe the do if u keep them well lubricated tho…

forge197
    Free Member

mk1fan – hustler it just makes most sense.

mandog

How about a 2nd G-Spot for the guest and then there's no bickering over who's got the best bike. Or get the fekker to rent a bike.

mk1fan
    Free Member

You're right. It would be better to offer my guests the best skills compensator.

forge197
    Free Member

mk1fan – Member
    "It would be better to offer my guests the best skills compensator."

Oh I see, so this is a recommendation for something other than the Cove's mentioned 😉

mk1fan
    Free Member

Still not found that bike to fill in skills void forge197?

On a different note I've e-mailed Lionel to book our day trip to Switzerland.

forge197
    Free Member

Like your good self there is always room for a skills void filler.

Good News on the day trip.

mk1fan
    Free Member

Roll on Pila.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Second Bike in Morzine’ is closed to new replies.