Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sebastian Buemi is a lucky boy…
  • Brother_Will
    Free Member

Thats amazing its like his wheels were ejected at speed, proper scary good job it was an F1 car on a track.

rOcKeTdOg

strut failure by the looks of it, wheel ended up over the barrier where the crowd were too, i wouldn't want to be the one washing his race overalls after that!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    eckinspain
    Free Member

I'm wondering if the team might be in trouble given that the tethering system didn't work (well, the wheels were tethered ok, but tethered to the bit that failed!)

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

😯

You can see the left wheel race way towards the barrier and make a break for freedom!

shermer75
    Free Member

That was unbe-freakin-lievable!! I have never seen anything like that.

FAVOURITE BIT: in the footage from the onboard camera, you can see poor old Buemi franticly steering to the right as the wall looms in to view. Bit of a forlorn hope there, matey! 😉

thegreatape
    Free Member

Toro Rosso pit stop yesterday.

psychle
    Free Member

Is this a good example of carbon fibre failing catastrophically? Don't know if that's what the parts are made of, but it looks like it may be CF?

shermer75
    Free Member

😆

marsdenman
    Free Member

Is this a good example of carbon fibre failing catastrophically? Don't know if that's what the parts are made of, but it looks like it may be CF?

NAH – nowt to do with CF failure – they'd just not tweaked the quick releases tight enough – they need to upgrade their front end that there fancy new 15mm through axle system…. 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Seriously? 🙄 Are you really that desperate to leap on the CF-is-bad bandwagon despite it frankly being a load of b******ks?

Once a part has failed (cracked/bent/deformed signifiantly) in a F1 type 'on the limit' situation, it will almost always fail catastrophically, irrespective of whether it's made of metal or carbon fibre because it'll be loaded way beyond what it's designed to cope with – 'outside design parameters'

psychle
    Free Member

NAH – nowt to do with CF failure – they'd just not tweaked the quick releases tight enough – they need to upgrade their front end that there fancy new 15mm through axle system…

😆

Seriously? Are you really that desperate to leap on the CF-is-bad bandwagon despite it frankly being a load of b******ks?

I ride a carbon Enduro SL S-works and lust after either an Ibis Mojo HD or the new Nomad Carbon… so I have no fear of the plastic stuff 🙂

Was just wondering at the absolute suddenness of the failure, though as you say everything was probably 'at the limit' of its design parameters so I guess it would've looked the same regardless of materials?

wwaswas

"the wheel tethers were attached to the part of the upright that broke off"

D'oh!

LordSummerisle
    Free Member

even more for the camera man at the back of the gravel trap who has to duck to avoid that flying wheel.

zokes
    Free Member

Buemi: "From in the car it was not a problem. I just lost both wheels."

😯

uplink
    Free Member

Boring F1 strikes again 😉

tracknicko
    Free Member

love the onboard where he gives the steering wheel a good old heave to the right to 'steer' away from the impending wall.

that aint gonna work son! – you've got no wheels!!!

Talkemada
    Free Member

love the onboard where he gives the steering wheel a good old heave to the right to 'steer' away from the impending wall.

that aint gonna work son! – you've got no wheels!!!

😆

Instinctive behaviour, but mental!

Well, good that he's ok, and no-one's been hurt. 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

yes indeed. amusing, but explainable.

thanks.

uplink
    Free Member

Bit of a flat spot on the rears 🙂

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As far as crashes go, it seemed pretty controlled really – plenty of run-off area. It would have been *fun* mid-race mind you :-O

Potdog
    Free Member

Where is the on-board footage? I can't see it on the BBC site.

surfer
    Free Member

As MF says, a remarkable landing, incredily smooth run off considering.

Potdog
    Free Member

You tube saves the day!

uplink
    Free Member

I think the issue is more the loose wheels rather than the crash per se

Anyway – onboard VT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQZrmBoRjKY

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Seriously? Are you really that desperate to leap on the CF-is-bad bandwagon despite it frankly being a load of b******ks?

The OP is absoulutely correct, its a fantastic expample of carbon fibre failing catastrophically.

Where does he jump on a bandwagon to "diss" carbon fibre? , which *would* be silly, as we have no idea of the cause of the failure in this instance.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I like the way he kept trying to steer after the wheels fell off 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

wish i;d said something like that.

uplink
    Free Member

The front/right upright failed causing the rest to fail
    A new design just fitted for this race, it failed in the first heavy braking zone on the first lap of first practice.

The loose wheels – worryingly – went over the spectator fencing

druidh
    Free Member

Is this new parts designed to create the "ride-height" effect that RB have?

donsimon
    Free Member

I thought he was quite cool, he kept looking straight ahead to where he was going. I'd have been watching the wheels going backwards!!!

rOcKeTdOg

Is this new parts designed to create the "ride-height" effect that RB have?

*chuckles*

TheChunk
    Free Member

The OP is absoulutely correct, its a fantastic expample of carbon fibre failing catastrophically.

Except that the uprights are not made of carbon fibre.

psychle
    Free Member

well, I was only wondering… do you know for a fact that they're not?

marsdenman
    Free Member

well, I was only wondering… do you know for a fact that they're not?

Made of cheese, I believe, with a Pseudo CF wrap…. 😉

aracer
    Free Member

A new design just fitted for this race, it failed in the first heavy braking zone on the first lap of first practice.

A useful comment – apart from the fact he was on his 6th lap and that there's at least one previous point on the circuit where braking is just as heavy.

TheChunk
    Free Member

Article 10.5.1 of the f1 technical regulations, uprights must be made from a permitted aluminium alloy.

psychle
    Free Member

cool. thanks for the clarification 🙂

Timn
    Free Member
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sebastian Buemi is a lucky boy…’ is closed to new replies.