• This topic has 26 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • seatpost slippage……coke can shim.
  • ton

having a bit of seatpost slippage on my swift.
    thomson post, nice and clean interface with the seat tube.
    i have popped a coke can shim in………will it be ok, like not damage the frame or owt?

wwaswas

is it all the way around the seatpost?

if not you’ll be putting uneven loads on the seattube (and is your can shim down far enough in the frame as the seatpost won’t be touching the seat tube below it?)

lipseal
    Free Member

A Try that carbon grease stuff.

B Lose weight.. 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

it’ll get stuck, dry welded like a mofo, take it out and tighten up your clamp ya big narnar

ton

cos i aint tried that……….. 🙄

MrNutt
    Free Member

does the seat tube have a split top, if so give it some more of a squeeze, much better to make it fit properly than shim it, maybe you could also try some talc?

I’m no metallurgist so don’t blame me if you break it 😀

rkk01
    Free Member

I’ve done this in the past – and it works ok. You do need to check the frame and can material to make sure that you don’t a disimilar metal reaction. ie steel can / steel frame, ally can / ally frame.

stevemakin

I’ve two Thompson posts that started life just fine but then started to slip, conesequently tightening the collar caused the post to become mishapen and crushed just at the point it was being tightened, put it on a flat surface and see 😉

MrNutt
    Free Member

you squashed a thomson post?!? I bet you’re a hit around the nut bowl on christmas day! 😀

ton

think this is what may have happened here too.
    undid it all, took the shim out, and gavbe it all a good clean.
    slowly interted the post in and it is a nice snug fit, then it becomes a slight bit looser, where the clamp point is………….bastid, new post needed.

stevemakin

my gut (ha ha ha ) feeling is that QR seat collars are to blame, that and being 3 stone too heavy

ton

😆

mamadirt
    Free Member

I use coke can/even milk carton shims all the time but I am only 8 1/2 stone (OK nearer 9 – I still haven’t lost the holiday weight 🙄 ).

Jerome
    Free Member

Clean off grease and use climbing chalk..
    And lose a few stone..
    J.

rOcKeTdOg

I am only 8 1/2 stone (OK nearer 9)

one of my legs weighs more than that! 😯

MrNutt
    Free Member

Ton I can’t help wonder if perhaps the tube has become widened/stretched over time due to you jumping up and down on it or being rough with it?

have you measured the girth of your post?

Do you have any problems on insertion? does it feel slack, loose or worn?

ton

girth is a1
    insertion is very deep
    and it does feel a bit slack sometimes……………… 😉

firestarter
    Free Member

Tony if I remember right brant was gonna get some 27.3 posts made for just the problem your having might be worth giving him a shout mate

ton

cheers mick…..will do.

ojom
    Free Member

Mick is correct, the Ragley Spike comes in 27.3mm and is in stock at Hotlines and we will have them on Wednesday if that’s any use to you.

ton

mark, let me know when they land please. i will have one.

ojom
    Free Member

Will do. Drop you an email when they are in the system.

MrNutt
    Free Member

have you ever considered that perhaps your saddle’s too heavy?

😀

ton

nutt………….i thought that,
    think i might get a carbon flite jobbie…………..bastid 8)

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Last time I had a slipping seatpost the problem was down to a small black plastic “washer” under the QR that had cracked, when the QR was tightened the washer opened up, so the clamp wasn’t clamping if you see what I mean. Solution was to buy a new QR clamp (Salsa in my case).

rootes1

either or both:

seatpost is undersize and/or seat tube is oversize.. if it is oversize then perhaps sam at singular can sort the issue out for you?

measure them up and see…

Sam

Concur with Rootes1 – measure both the seat tube and the post. From prior experience of slightly undersize Thomson posts (and I know of other manufacturers to see the same thing) it may well be the post. Of course, if the frame is at fault I will take care of it. Drop me a line Ton.

Sam

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘seatpost slippage……coke can shim.’ is closed to new replies.