Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Seatpost racks for multiday trips offroad…. Any experiences / pics please?
  • user-removed
    Free Member

I've always used old steel framed mtbs for holiday touring duties and almost always been on road for most of the trip. Now I fancy doing a few mostly off road trips but my 'good' bike (HT) hasn't got rack mounts.

Been looking at the various seat-post mounted racks and worrying about how much weight they can carry over rough terrain… Any tales, tall or short would be appreciated, thanks.

rootes1

Go for a Carradice SQR Tour, Trax or Slim instead…

16litres, 10kg weight limit for contents, waterproof and do not need the seatpost rack, but are still very stable but easy to remove.

thomthumb
    Free Member

this is mine (on the left). I had around 3kg on the rack and my mate had a little less.

Mine is an old trek rack (now marketed as bontrager) james's is quick release.

I think rootes's suggestion is a good one.

I will likely be investing in a relevate bag this year.

the biggest problem with seatpost mounted racks is strapping the stuff on it down as it has no side bits.

Having said that my mate got an old man mountain rack which attaches via P-clips (from carradice, phone them) and is one of the most sturdy racks i have ever seen.

HTH

user-removed
    Free Member

Thanks for that – rootes I had looked at the Carradice bags a while ago and had completely forgotten about them – might be ideal but can't find one in stock anywhere 🙁

TT – cheers for the pic – did you have to carry anything / a lot in a backpack? Had a look at your relevate link and they do look good – but pricey!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Seatpost racks for multiday trips offroad…. Any experiences / pics please?’ is closed to new replies.