Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Seat position – V important
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

Having built up my new HT I have forgotten how important correct seat position (for and aft, tilt and height) is critial and very small adjustments make huge aparent alterations in your pelvic position etc. I still haven't got it spot on yet – is it just me of does it take a while to get it just spot on?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

is it just me of does it take a while to get it just spot on?

I tried sliding my saddle from one end of the rails to the other with no apparent effect on comfort.

uplink
    Free Member

It never bothers me too much TBH

as long as it's somewhere near – I'm OK

Junkyard
    Free Member

dont care I just ride my bikes all different frame sizes different seats , stem lengths etc Not fussy but I know people who are. Like exact/correct sadlle height though

stumpy01

Takes me ages and you think you've got it right, but then 5 mins down the road/trail on an actual ride, it feels all wrong. I can get the fore/aft sorted, but I always start off with the saddle nose too high.
    Then after the ride I always forget to put it right, and I remember 5 mins into the next ride.

simon1975

Take the allen keys with you on your first ride?

cynic-al
    Free Member

very small adjustments make huge aparent alterations in your pelvic position etc.

If that was the case and it really mattered then you would not be asking:

I still haven't got it spot on yet – is it just me of does it take a while to get it just spot on?

Heel scraping pedal does it for me.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Probably coz I suffer with back pain so maybe more crucial for me then 🙂 Just wondered?

stumpy01

simon1975 – Member

Yeah, I do take the allen keys but can never be bothered to stop and sort it as it's more of a niggle than anything. I think that I'll do it when I get back to the car and then never do…..

foxyrider
    Free Member

Yeah, I do take the allen keys but can never be bothered to stop and sort it as it's more of a niggle than anything. I think that I'll do it when I get back to the car and then never do…..

I guess that explains why it takes me ages – I do exactly the same stumpy 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Same problem here but always take allen keys on the first ride. Still takes 5 or 6 adjustemnts in height angle before I'm happy and even then it can feel different next ride 🙄

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I cannot think of a non-shopping situation where I wouldn't take the allen keys!

simon1975

I cannot think of a non-shopping situation where I wouldn't take the allen keys!

Well I only take a multi-tool usually, but I don't like using that on nice components except in an emergency.

Solo
    Free Member

I think the set-up is very important. I sturggled with the wrong sized frame for a year, getting lower back pain before I got it sorted, requiring a new frame in the next size up.

I've have friends who have almost had to give up cycling, until they discovered that they really needed to get their set-up right.

The very nature of the act of cycling can really cause havoc on your body if you've not sorted your position. imo.

Theres a set-up in one of the Zinn books, which helps people get to a good, general position, from which they can then make minor alterations to zero their final set-up.

I set-up as follows:

1st Saddle height
    2nd Saddle Fore-aft
    3rd Reach

It helped me.
    🙂

Solo

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but I don't like using that on nice components except in an emergency.

nice ?? All the formerly nice components on my bike are scratched, dented, bent, rusty or worn, so I have no such scruples :o)

Oh, I'm wrong, my Hope QR seat clamp is still in quite good nick, but it doesn't need tools 🙂

RicB

ime the fore/aft position is far less important than the tilt angle. I slid my saddle forward to make climbing a little easier and it was fine. I tilted the saddle nose up a little to make it easier to hang off the back and I got really bad back-ache.

Why it's worth paying for a seatpost that allows very fine tilt adjustment e.g. Thomson or Easton 50 imho.

Woody
    Free Member

Simon1975 +1

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

The very nature of the act of cycling can really cause havoc on your body if you've not sorted your position. imo.

particularly when you fall off 🙂

3rd Reach

do you mean lever reach ?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Seat position – V important’ is closed to new replies.