Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Seat Leon
  • curto80
    Free Member

I need a car for motorway commuting. On a budget but needs to be comfortable enough for a couple of hours a day up and down the M4. Thinking of going new to minimise hassle and fix costs.

Can get a Leon 1.2tsi for £13k. Anything out there that’s better VfM than that?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Mondeo/Passat

and automatic too for when your are crawling along

Much better motorway cars

jambalaya
    Free Member

Basically the bigger the better fo mororway driving. 1.2tsi – thats a small high revving engine. Get a used diesel, eg golf or passat

shortcut

£13k and you’re getting a 1.2 Leon.

Honestly spend that money on an Octavia, BMW3 series, Passat, Mondeo that is a little older but won’t present any issues for quite some time. New cars are still hassle.

P-Jay
    Free Member

a Leon will be fine, I doubt the seats are all that different to the rest of the VAG range (although the seats in my Wife’s Ibiza are a bit narrow for my fat arse).

Gearing will be suited to the engine, but you’ll want the 6sp box if you’re on the motorway for a couple of hours a day and don’t expect much action when you put your foot down in 6th. I believe the SE is a 5 speed, the FR a 6.

curto80
    Free Member

Thanks guys, appreciated and will reflect on your suggestions.

I’ve been burned before on just out of warranty “premium” cars so I’m still a bit wary, although I was probably just unlucky.

If I were to rephrase the question I guess it would say “is there a better value for money new car than a Leon at £13k?”

curto80
    Free Member

PJ it is a 6sp in the 1.2 also, cheers.

sparkyrhino

Love my estate Leon fr although its a dirty derv 184bhp version, very comfy seats and some good toys to play with.great led headlights too

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP buy something Japanese for £13k used, it won’t go wrong – nor will it set your heart racing but that wasn’t a criteria. An STWer was selling a nice Civic Estate recently for a lot less than that.

Kamakazie

Agree with jamba. If you are buying out of warranty then look at Japanese manufacturers. Most of them rank highly in the long term reliability stakes with good cost of ownership.

In particular take a look at the Mazda 3 or 6. Reliable & good to drive. The new shape look good too.

tthew

We have that engine in the last of the old shape Leon’s. It’s a great little motor, ours is the 110bhp version which is plenty powerful enough for it. If you are really racking up the miles check you are getting the variable service interval version, ours is a fixed 10k/annual which would soon get swallowed up at a few hundred miles a week.

joolsburger
    Free Member

Volvo, BMW and Mercedes all are more comfortable, quieter and better places to be on the motorway. 13k gets a surprisingly lot of car from them. Also go 16 inch wheels for a better ride and less noise. However if it has to be new the Seat is a a good bet. I like my Mii which was around 9.5k and was surprisingly OK on a 50 mile commute, I expect the Ibiza is much better.

Left field suggestion Lexus CT200H. Lovely but boring car.

harvey
    Free Member

i drove a leon for 120k miles, 40% on motorway . it was a brilliant wee car never gave bother and was happy to sit at 90 mph on the motorway if required. good economy too. i would thoroughly recommend it.

bear-uk
    Free Member

I also have the Leon estate 2.0 diesel and I think its great. Also amazing fuel economy. 3 Guys + boot full of camping gear gave 70 mpg on a 400 mile run on Sports mode.

timblake7

Go for the Leon. Great cars—VW?Audi underneath with way more style. Had a mark 1 Leon for 13 years and loved it. Now have an older Octy estate 1.8 TSI but only b’cos I couldn’t;t afford the New Leon. It’s not got the flair of a Leon and it’s all about the flair and style! We are mountain bikers after all! Oh and Petrol is better for the environment we love to ride in too

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Forget the nonsense about high revving, most engines and gearbox combo’s are geared for comfortable cruising on a motorway, the only difference is the fuel consumption. I’d actually go for a Focus over a Leon or VAG car. Cheaper and in every way just as good. My mk1 focus was a brilliant car. 1.8LX petrol, cruised just fine on the motorway, handled far better than anything out of the VAG stable, was just as reliable if not moreso and had a heated front windscreen. No contest.

andrewreay

Think the Leon is a safe bet.

We have the 1.2 engine in a Yeti now and it gets me to work and back on the motorway no bother. Also had an older version of the 1.2 TSI in an Octavia estate (before the Yeti) and that too was a great motorway car.

The DSG box is really very good, if your 13k stretches to it.

As wobbli says, a Focus would also be a fine car. Just not sure if you could get new for the budget?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So out of all those advising Leon size cars, have you actually driven a larger car on the motorway?

Yes Leon size cars are ok, but the difference to Mondeo size is massive.

jambalaya
    Free Member

IMO a 2-3yr old car will be just as reliable as a new one. Motorway miles are low stress too, a city car has a much tougher life

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I own a Leon and it’s mechanically identical to a VW Golf or Audi A3 and is fine on a motorway.

For £13k you should be able to pick up a nearly new FR spec with DSG. Mine is the 1.8 TFSI and the blend of performance and economy is spot on.

But test drive one – you might find it’s not the car for you.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP here is the Civic which was in the Classifieds

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/honda-civic-tourer-18-i-vtec-se-plus

bear-uk
    Free Member

I will sell my 14 plate Leon estate for £13k if you want?
    2.0 Diesel. 150 bhp. 27K. 2 owners. Unmarked condition.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Seat Leon’ is closed to new replies.