Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sealing an enlarged valve hole, what kind of valve?
  • chris_db
    Free Member

So I made the mistake of drilling my rims to enlarge the valve hole as per Stans video. However, I didn’t need to do this.

So, in light of the fact I’m a complete twonk, could anyone recommend a valve that will fit the new hole, the Stans ones are too small now. I have applied the correct width yellow tape.

Or should I just use the flipping rim strip?

Chris

MaryHinge
    Free Member

You’ll be wanting one of these.

Valve reducer

EDIT: oooh, Actually, just spotted the revised text saying that it’s now a split plastic reducer, which won’t seal. The old rubber ones, pictured certainly work.

Mind, for 49p you could risk a try. You LBS should have reducers too.

If you are using tubelss valves, you should get away wit the reducer on the inner rim (i.e the bit nearest the hub) to stop the valve wiggling, and the rubber “foot” on the valve will seal against the rim well.

matthew_h
    Free Member

Best bet will be the rims trip now I reckon. You’ll struggle to get any bodges to seal properly.

wwaswas

If you’ve got two enlarged holes (vicar) then I wouldn;t worry too much – I’ve run presta valves in schraeder holes without too much problem – only issue can be the rims get mud and water in them so the rubber grommet things can help with that.

Northwind

If you can find one, then this:

http://www.notubes.com/Stans-Standard-Valve-Stem-Problem-Solver-P624C16.aspx

Is designed to do exactly what you describe.

Alternatively… I think you’ll find the standard Stans ones won’t fit, so maybe a Roval or Effetto Cafe valve? They both use a bigger base.

trail_rat
    Free Member

my tubeless systems are valved using a valve cut out of an old inner tube and the lock ring ….

works fine

surely you can just cut the base to suit !

chris_db
    Free Member

Dear trail_rat – you are a genius and a scholar.

Wheels sealed and running tubeless.

😀 😀

scaredypants

not as cheap as trailrat’s but very solid(you’ll also need to drill the outer skin I guess)

deetec
    Free Member

I had massive problems with this on my stans rims, until I found out about ‘Ghetto tubeless’ which is simply awesome. Its all shown on the link below but basically cut gaffer tape to your rim width, run it round a few times and stick a valve in, then do another run of tape totally sealing the valve against the tape, then pierce a hole for the air to get in. Works a treat and far far more effective (and cheaper) than stans. I have used this system on three wheelsets now and it hasn’t failed me yet.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sealing an enlarged valve hole, what kind of valve?’ is closed to new replies.