Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • SDW – travel options
  • Spud

Folks familiar with the SDW, what’s the best way to get from Eastbourne back to Winchester? Trains seemingly take an age, any options anyone has used and would care to share?

lucien

The train line that runs along the south coast is grimmsville slow, reckon it might be as quick or quicker to go into London and back out, not with a bike though….. 😯 willing volunteer / partner / friend might be an option?

Spud

Early planning for doing it in a day next year. Fearing two cars and some shuffling might be the option.

oldnpastit

Train to London worked for me. Watch for when bikes are allowed. Or cycle back. Bring cream for your nether regions though.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep train Eastbourne – Clapham Junction – Winchester is probably the most hassle free. should be fine at the weekend.

gribble
    Free Member

Did Winchester to Lewes (bailer early on 2nd day as weather was terrible). Train to London and back out again.

Riding back seems more of a rewarding way to return, even if it does take another day. Train takes a good few hours anyway.

Ashley
    Free Member

That’s why I choose to go with Trailbreak – Let them get me back again to the start. Plus they carried my bags, provided me with food & lodgings. In all well worth the money.

As a solo it took out all of the hassle and I had plenty of other people to ride alongside too. When you factor in the cost of the train tickets it actually was cheaper..

Dyffers
    Free Member

I agonised over London or Brighton train options on a Saturday evening this June.

My problem was I didn’t fancy spending 45 minutes late on a Saturday night waiting for the next train at Clapham junction.

In the end I parked the car at Droxford near Hambledon, rode an easy 10 road miles to Winchester to start the SDW about 6am, got the coast train back to Havant from Eastbourne(change at Brighton) and finished with another easy 12 road miles back to Droxford. A long day though!

marvincooper

I left one car in Winchester, then met up with the family in Eastbourne. Camped there that night (nice campsite, can’t remember the name now but will look it up if you’re interested), then picked up the car in Winchester on the way home. We made a day of it on the Sunday so all were happy.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘SDW – travel options’ is closed to new replies.