Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • SDW tomorrow after today's rain? (tyre/death content)
  • nedrapier

Morning all. It’s been dry for a while, and I’m not going to be on it until 24hrs after the rain stops.

I’ll be on file tread CX tyres, long ride on road and off, taking SDW from Ditchling Beacon to Cocking.

From memory, I think the really claggy bits are some way west of Cocking?

Will I Die?

JoB
    Free Member

no

wwaswas

I think Jo’s right.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Yes, but not tomorrow. I think it’s all pretty firm going between Ditchling and Cocking. Flints may be more trouble than mud.

DrP

You’ll be ‘reet…

Have fun!

DrP

manton69

Rain over by early afternoon. Chalk dry as a bone, Tracks dry by this evening. Warning though: vegetation growth expected to be rampant with nettles and brambles growing by the minute.

nedrapier

rampant? Oooer!

I shall wear thick jeans in that case. Double denim maybe?

cyclistm
    Free Member

Long grass over the chalk ruts doesn’t help either

m0rk
    Free Member

Torrential Rain at QECP area right now for the next couple of hours.

Hopefully it’ll have drained away & not made it the slippy chalk of death – enjoy the ride!

DrP

Well my cords just got a right soak through on visits, and now I’m sat here steaming away in surgery…
    Though the rain seems to have stopped…

DrP

nedrapier

Cheers all. Well, I’m doing it anyway, aren’t I? Keeping some friends company rding from Fareham to London. I’m peeling off at Ditchling Beacon. 50 miles with them on road means I’m not riding anything chunkier than file treads, so SDW will be what it will be. Will be.

I’m quietly confident I won’t die, though, so thanks for the support on that front.

Good luck with the cords, Dr P. Careful not to be caught rubbing your thighs inappropriately.

pictonroad

It’s absolutely towing it down at the moment, but, given the conditions out there it will be splendidly dry for you tomorrow. Money back guarantee.

scaredypants

I’m guessing you won’t die but your tyres might (of flintiness, not wet chalkitude)

nedrapier

Cheers Picton.

So far, I’m in to the tune of £7.00 for the train ticket and £11 on jelly babies, flapjacks and gel. Is that supportable?

Join me if you like? Meeting them at Havant at 8:15, rolling through at a sensible, mixed fitness, 125 mile in a day pace (12-16mph ave? – at least on the flat to Brighton) Join on from yours for a bit of road, bit of SDW?

nedrapier

scaredypants – What I’m not going to say is that I’ve heard so much about The Flints Of Doom, but I’ve never had a hint of them being a problem before, apart from them being a bit bumpy in the packed sections. Oh no. You won’t catch me be saying that at all.

pictonroad

I would but I’m committed to a road ride first thing in the morning and childcare in the afternoon.

good luck!

scaredypants

I had no trouble either, the one time I rode it – on dual ply ST highrollers 😳

DrP

Ironically I’m taking the family TO Cosham/Havant area tomorrow am. I’ll be sure to punishment pass you if I see you….

DrP

nedrapier

I look forward to it. You know where to find us!

Although it’s not so much of a “pass” if you’re doing it from the opposite direction, is it?

nedrapier

Final tally for the 37 miles of SDW was 2 mandatory puddles. Then 1 non-mandatory, slippy, wet descent down off the SDW to Bepton which I shan’t be riding again. Tried it up and down now, little to recommend it in either direction!

Everything else was dry as a chalky bone.

And I did die a couple of times! And asked our Lord Jesus Christ when one particular climb was going to end.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘SDW tomorrow after today's rain? (tyre/death content)’ is closed to new replies.