Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • SDW – Am I mad?
  • bikewhisperer
    Free Member

Like Glencampbell said.. electrolytes! Meant that I only ached afterwards… but oh I ached then..
    I was using 1 and a half nuun tabs in a 2l camelbak, and a 1l bottle on the bike with non electrolyte energy drink. I filled a load of zip-lok bags with bottle sized, strong doses psp22. Was easy peasy when we got to water stations then.
    Take plenty of bars, sausage rolls, cheese sarnies etc. Gels with caffeine are awesome when it's getting on a bit! basically a bag full of food won't do you wrong.
    3l seemed enough between each water stop and we did it in the summer. If you're a thirsty chap it might be worth taking a spare bottle though.

I went to meet some mates in the pub when I got to Winchester.. 2 pints and I was fast asleep in the corner.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Lightweight 😀

have you finished your scientific novel yet?

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

At least you're not carrying too much timber! Well unless you've been on the pies all winter. 😉

Might be up home next weekend, so i'll give you a call then, although i dont reckon i can squeeze a bike in with 2 kids.

njee20
    Free Member

I'd also be quite focused about it: rather than slog out 70-80-90 mile road rides, I'd be doing 40-50-60 miles at almost flat-out

I wouldn't, long and steady IMO. You're not training to ride a short distance at high speed, so don't train over short distances at high speed!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

You've got no chance! This assessment i based purely on the fact that i've just read that you shave your nuts and chest. Freak!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Every gram saved and all that!! 😉

Didn't go to well this morning. Tyre blowout after only five miles. Balls 👿
    Will try again tomorrow.

Ewan
    Free Member

Honestly? Forget it. You've left it too late. The SDW is too hard to be starting training for now if all you do is 2 – 3 hour rides. I'm not being nasty, but really you're not going to be in a happy place for most of the ride, and if you can't enjoy it what's the point? Either aim to do this next year and work out a proper traing schedule, or if you're detirmined get your head around the fact that you'll suffer.

Ha ha. You're not serious. Don't get me wrong, it's double hard, but my longest training ride before doing it was only 50 miles and I didn't die.

Did it in 14 hours – to be honest i'd put in more training if I were doing it again, if only because the hills at the end are quite tiring. Just to add to that, I probably will do it again this year, but due to a snowboarding injury I've not ridden for the last month so i'll be starting from a pretty rubbish fitness level. That being said I intend to knock a fair amount off 14 hours, largely by just MTFU. I wasn't even considering starting to train for it until may. That'll be loads of time.

nick1c
    Free Member

If you can be flexible dry conditions & a tail wind will make a BIG difference.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘SDW – Am I mad?’ is closed to new replies.