Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sd card question.
  • zippykona

We have just bought a 12 million pixel camera. 87 pictures have filled up a 64gb card. Should more fit on there?
    We really don’t want to turn down the pixels as we like the way it zooms.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

So about 700mb/pic?

Is it in RAW? convertin to Jpeg would probably help

zippykona

All I can say is that its as we got it out of the box, so no idea about raw or jpeg. How would I tell?
    Ps I am a Luddite.

CountZero

RTFM. Go into settings, there will be a subsection for recording resolution somewhere, which will tell you what the default setting is, and a range of settings to choose from. For most people, the highest resolution .jpg would be perfectly adequate; RAW is fine if you’re planning on doing a lot of tweaking in Photoshop, adjusting white balance, etc.
    A 12Mp camera, with a 64Gb card ought to be getting a couple of thousand .jpg photos, at least; I buy a bunch of cheap 8Gb Transend cards and fill those up, then put in a new one, and there must be several hundred on each card.
    Just a thought, what make is the card, and where did you get it? There are a lot of bogus high-capacity cards being sold online, it’s possible that’s what you’ve got.

zippykona

Its a Fuji film I got years ago with my first digital camera. Will have a go with the settings.
    I’ve just wiped the card and taken a shot. In the settings it said that 2.1 Mb had been used.

BoardinBob

Are you sure its not 64 meg rather than 64 gig?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Its a Fuji film I got years ago with my first digital camera.

Are you sure its not 64 meg rather than 64 gig?

The answer….

zippykona

64 Mb it says. I’m assuming I’ve got in bit of a muddle.
    To be fair I did play the Luddite card earlier. Sorry!

CountZero

64Mb! Crikey, that’s practically a collectors item, up there with floppies and ZIP drives. 😀
    I’ll bet that was damned expensive when it was new, too; I bought a 1Gb CF card with my first digital camera, in 2003, it cost me £200! 😯

molgrips
    Free Member

Hehe 🙂

For what it’s worth, I have a 12MP camera and the RAW images are 11MB.

zippykona

So what size chip do I need to store a thousand pictures at 12 million mega pixels?

Moses

12 gigapixels you mean?
    That’s high resolution! Is it an airborne spy camera?

You may need to RTFM again.
    Start with an 8GB, and see how it goes

dannybgoode

What camera is it. Not sure it will be shooting in RAW – assuming it is a P&S (point & shoot) not many shoot RAW.

@Zippy – for 12MP camera shooting jpeg either 1 8gb or 2 4gb cards. I’d go with 2 x 4gb and if your on holiday for example swap them over every day. That way if one dies you don’t lose all you photos.

That and make sure you a) try and download them on to your computer at least once a week and b) back your computer up properly.

Nothing more devastating than losing all your precious photos because you didn’t back them up properly.

Cheers

Danny B

zippykona

Its a canon sx 240 and we are amazed at what your £150 buys now compared to 6 years ago.
    We saw a duck on an island at the weekend but couldn’t make out what kind. Zoomed in took a picture and we could see it perfectly. Put the chip in the telly when we got home and the pictures looked great. No pixeling at all.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Chips in the tellybox?

molgrips
    Free Member

The JPEGs from my camera are about.. 800Kb in normal mode. So 1Gb would see you fine. But you probably can’t even get 1Gbs any more, so 4 would be plenty and they cost buttons.

andytherocketeer

was wondering if 87 pics on a 64meg museum piece was even at a decent JPG setting? must have been well slow saving the images to the card too, I imagine?
    Tried my old top of the range 20Meg Sandisk CF card in my DSLR once, for a laugh. Take 1 pic RAW+JPG, then watch the light flash away for several seconds while it saves the image. Wasn’t many images in total. Maybe about 3?

I’d say fastest 4gig (or 8gig) you can afford, doesn’t really matter which as they cost peanuts now.

CountZero

I can remember getting the first images from a digital camera for Canon’s internal magazine. Taken on 1.2Mp cameras, jpg’d to about 8k, they were horribly artifacted.
    These would be a good buy: http://www.7dayshop.com/dane-elec-sdhc-memory-card-4gb-class-4
    The last ones I bought were Transend 8Gb cards from 7dayshop, got four for around sixteen quid. I just fill them up and put them to one side, then use another. Time to get some more, I think.
    I’ve considered a 32Gb card, as they’re so cheap, but there’s always the problem of a card being corrupted.
    And now there are 128Gb cards for just over £100…

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sd card question.’ is closed to new replies.