Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Screaming Jay Hawkins!
  • iridebikes
    Free Member

Who else knows and likes his music? I’ve recently ‘discovered’ his music, and it absolutely amazing! I dont think Ive ever heard anything with as much energy. Is there anyone similar that I should check out?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Screamin’ jay hawkins? Much like a lot of the early rock and roll, i reckon. A little bit chuck berry, or jerry lee lewis, but a touch bluesier, maybe mix in some Muddy Waters. But jay hawkins always sounded more rock ‘n’ roll than blues. You might also try some early .ike turner, after all he invented Rock ‘n’ Roll. Try finding his Rocket 88

Cougar

The Darkness?

sugdenr
    Free Member

I put a spell on you is one of my favourites of all time. Credence Clearwater, not quite the same energy but good all the same.

iridebikes
    Free Member

Cool, I’ll check out some of those suggestions, I find he is quite different to say jerry lee lewis, especially on his songs like Feast of the mau mau

emsz
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiExHrVXmtE[/video]

this

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Howlin wolf is great, but very different from hawkins i reckon. But if it’s bluesiness of it you like, then you have loads o explore, the whole Chess masters catalogue would be a start, but you will end up at Robert Johnson, not that there is where you should start. Muddy, lightning hopkins, buddy guy. Oooh lucky you!

Raindog
    Free Member

Tom Waits shares a lot of influences too. Try Mule Variations.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

there is loads of energetic, raw stuff around this period, try big joe turner or memphis minnie .if you want a laugh watch mystery train ,its a film by jim jarmush with screaming jay hawkins and joe strummer both totally unable to act but chock full of charisma.

Raindog
    Free Member

Tom Waits is in it as well 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Screaming Jay Hawkins!’ is closed to new replies.