Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • screaming brakes?
  • smartay

Hi all
    Any ideas why my brakes are screaming and vibrating through the frame, Genesis Fortitude, havent ridden in awhile and yes stopping seems to have tailed off.
    certainly dont need abell when entering blind corners!

onlysteel
    Free Member

Vibration may be due to pad/rotor contamination?

continuity
    Free Member

Pick any of:

Vibration in adapter/caliper interface.
    Misaligned pads.
    Bent rotor.
    Pad contamination.
    Rotor contamination.
    Putting children’s hands into fast moving rotors to try and stop them

Honestly, disc brakes.

JAG

Brakes convert your bikes kinetic energy into heat – they don’t always do it efficiently. When they are not working at their most efficient some of the energy is converted into sound pressure energy instead of heat.

Predicting this behaviour has kept many, many professional Engineers and Scientists fully occupied for 40 hours a week and 52 weeks a year for the last 100 years. In short it’s very difficult to predict when your brakes will do this and what circumstances create the necessary conditions.

Mountain bike manufacturers can’t afford the research to do this before they release the brakes for sale. Hence mountain bike brakes make more noise than some brakes (cars mainly). So long as they’re still stopping you I wouldn’t worry about it 😀

I do this stuff for a living.

iridemybike
    Free Member

Worn headset bearings also cause a juddering when breaking.

However, squealing pads are useful for warning others that you’re on your way through

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘screaming brakes?’ is closed to new replies.