Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Scratching an xc itch
  • garvaldnights
    Free Member

I’m about to dip my toes into the Scottish xc racing scene mainly so I can accompany my son who wishes to race the series. However, I need a bike. My Surly Krampus will not cut it.

I’m looking for recommendations: no more than 2k. Light and racy. I’ve no intention of enduro, gravity or trail centre type riding. It will be for mtb marathons, xc races, big days out in the highlands but def not bike packing.

Almost certainly will need to bought on interest free so second hand is out. If I sell the Krampus, I will have the deposit.

What would you recommend?

ferrals
    Free Member

Based on time honoured tradition, and a pinch of truth, one of the Scott Scales, get more bang for your buck by finding a 2016 on discount. Perfect xc race bike, I have 27.5 version but think 29er just as good

Tiger6791

Why not just stick some 29 wheels on the Krampus?

garvaldnights
    Free Member

Thought about that but without the fat tyres it would be heavy and super rigid

Tiger6791

Krampus is fine for XC, just take the plus tyres off.

Unless you’re amazing you ain’t gonna win, but if you’re on the wrong bike and smiling every XC racer on a carbon race bike you overtake is a little win!

Look at this totally orsomz XC racer on a Genesis Longitude (even left the bike packing bags on) I didn’t win but I didn’t come last either. 😀

(also wear baggy shorts as well)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

On the what you have
    http://www.greenoversports.com/rocky-mountain/rocky-mountain-ex-show-and-ex-demo-bikes/rocky-mountain-element-950-md.html
    I have the Half Carbon one, great bike, fast, forgiving to a point and comfy for long days in the saddle

steve_b77
    Free Member

Job Done

In true time honoured tradition, I’ve got a fancier moar carbons version, but for £2k this is bargains

fifeandy
    Free Member

No 0% finance, but going along the lines of the suggestion from Ferrals:
    https://www.rutlandcycling.com/323000/products/2016-scott-scale-920-carbon-mountain-bike-green-black.aspx

Yak

Most 29er 100mm hardtails will be fine. What’s at your lbs? Or get to a demo day. How’s your back? Some have a bit more ‘give’ at the back, eg trek procaliber. The 9.6 comes under budget with some to spare for upgrades.

Andy-R

Double post – just ignore me…..

Andy-R

Unless you’re ultra serious (and ultra fit and fast) I’m all fot the “riding what you have” approach. My last XC race, which must have been five years ago, I just rode my Hummingbird rigid singlespeed. As I was never going to come anywhere near to threatening the podium, I reckon I had more fun on that than anything else I can think of.

I would have liked to finish top 20 but actually managed 22/60. I’m probably never going to put in as much effort again, ever.

And I wore baggy shorts, naturally.

adsh
    Free Member

I ride a Whyte 29c which is great. If I had to replace I’d get a Trek Procalibre. Test somewhere on here – very good.

NormalMan

@ Tiger6791

Loving the beabones jersey. It reminds me I must dig mine out again.

mintimperial

My Surly Krampus will not cut it.

I did an XC race last weekend on my Krampus (3″ tyres, singlespeed, mudguards and dynamo lights too). It was bloody good fun and I didn’t come last. Ride what you got!

(If I was skint and really desperate to ride XC I’d probably save up for a Boardman 29er or something like that, well under a grand new and plenty good enough for dipping your toe into racing.)

scaled
    Free Member

Depends on the race i suppose, i came 4th* in one of the midweek mtb madness in a massively fortuitous turn of events the course and weather held up and my escapade with slicks on was perfect.

It was a good talking point on the start line as the rain clouds threatened 😀

*not in the racer cat i should add!

dovebiker

I’ve come top-10 on my rigid 29+ in local MTB races – there’s a certain satisfaction of beating guys on their carbon-everything uber-bikes – if there’s open singletrack or fire-road sections and you get those big wheels rolling few bikes can keep-up.

lustyd
    Free Member

+1 for a 2016 Scale. If you find a choice of model, check the frame between them. The 700 is top banana, then 710 down to 735 are all the same carbon frame and 740 on are Aluminium. I believe it’s the same on the 9xx range 29ers. The difference on a given frame will be components which can be upgraded later at your leisure but they are all reasonable quality parts these days. A 2016 model will be well under your budget too.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Scratching an xc itch’ is closed to new replies.