Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Scratch recognition…car
  • brack
    Free Member

My partner has found this scratch on her car…

We are not well off and this sort of thing is a real financial niggle !

Any thoughts on what could have caused it?

nealglover
    Free Member

Need a bigger picture to be able to tell anything.

Jamie
    Free Member

brack
    Free Member

😆

bearnecessities

That’s odd, especially as it must have risen/fallen in height.

I also think whoever was in control of it had pasta for lunch, and is possibly a racist.

Other than that pish, you need Nealglover.

EDIT: Who has clearly developed near Jamie-like omnipotence.

househusband

Or Edward

nealglover
    Free Member

No idea what’s caused that I’m afraid.

Looks like it needs paint rather than polish though 🙁

chewkw
    Free Member

Try Dupont Scratch Repair Stick or get some repair sticks from Halfods. 🙂

breadcrumb

I can only guess some scrote did that on purpose. It doesn’t look like it could make contact in any usual fashion.

Edric64
    Free Member

If you are skint leave it? Its only a scratch on a car after all

bearnecessities

This is annoying me now – I want to understand what kind of shape-morphing object could have created this!

Where was it parked OP?

andyl
    Free Member

view from further away and showing parking location would help.

parkesie
    Free Member

Ive had cars that were pristine and got so wound up when they inevitably get scratched. My current car however i deliberately went out to find a scratched and dinged example just so i wouldnt give a shit. Also meant i got something of a bargain. Hell its even got a ding in the roof.

If you have to repair it try yourself with those colour repair sticks from halfords is the cheapest option if not the best.

brack
    Free Member

Hmmm the scrote idea is concerning as my partner has had a disagreement with our next door neighbours teenage friends who park at the rear of our property and drop litter. It was my first thought when she sent me the pics to be honest.

Though she seems certain it wasn’t there this morning prior to her long drive to see family. She seems to think it more likely it happened in the supermarket carpark.

Probably to stop me from practicing with my gaelic curling stick out the back of the house…a joke

Were gutted but not wound up?

Friends have lost children and weve lost both our mothers in the last few years!? Its only a car..just intrigued.

Re the battered car tips…

I drive an old van for this very reason. My partner wanted a nice safe car in which to transport our new born… 🙄

matt_outandabout

A child with a stone? U L C ?

Jamie
    Free Member

No charge. Happy Christmas.

jambourgie
    Free Member

Does the car still drive?

jambourgie
    Free Member

Skillz Jamie. How did you do that?

nealglover
    Free Member

It looks like it has gone through the clear coat and damaged the colour coat underneath.

If that’s the case then the Dupont Scratch Repair Stick won’t touch it I’m afraid.

The DuPont Repair Stick is basically just very thinned down clear coat that acts as a filler on light scratches in the clear coat to stop them disturbing the path of the light to the colour coat beneath.
    But being very thinned down it won’t last all that long anyway, so it’s only a temporary measure really.

The colour sticks are even more temporary, they are basically a hard wax with a pigment added that fill the scratch.
    A crayon the right colour would do a Similar job 🙂

But if it’s broken through the clear and damaged the colour, the scratches can’t be removed by machine polishing, so I’m afraid your only two real options are to have it painted, or leave it

andyl
    Free Member

I was thinking something with an overhang. A shopping trolley sounds plausible.

brack
    Free Member

Thanks neal what sort of money for a respray ?

househusband

If at supermarket; neighbouring car being clumsy getting a newly purchased garden rake in the car..?

brakes
    Free Member

baby robin?

PePPeR

That’s looking like vandalism I’m afraid…

bruneep

Conqueror
    Free Member

Difficult to see how deep it is. Looks like it might be deep enough to need filled.

Might need filled, sanded, painted, adjusted. Its this labour that could cost a fair bit.

Paint could be 100-150 £ … they’ll probably mix up more than they need.

Since its not structural and appears only cosmetic shop around.

househusband

I’m curious – what make/model car is that?

Jamie
    Free Member

I took a picture of the car, then I scratched it with a rake.

brack
    Free Member

VW Golf

househusband

😆 @ my mancrush Jamie

nealglover
    Free Member

Thanks neal what sort of money for a respray ?

Not my area really as I do machine polishing and rectification/resurfacing rather than paint.

I had paid between £50 and £100 a panel previously though (trade)

sobriety
    Free Member

Since its not structural and appears only cosmetic shop around.

Although if it’s gone to the bare metal it will become strucutral at some point, if you don’t get it resprayed, at least fill it with lacquer to protect the metal underneath, (I’ve used clear nail varnish in the past on cars I didn’t much care about)

Kahurangi

TOP TIP

prevent your car being scratched at the supermarket by parking in the centre of 2 adjoining spaces

Sorry OP, my thoughts are its someone being clumsy with a basket and no backbone.

amplebrew

That looks like intentional damage as the marks whilst going in the same direction, are slightly different shapes

That type of damage would suggest a young person. From experience, adults tend to damage vehicles by kicking or punching (usually whilst drunk and/or angry) rather than use some type of implement.

jambourgie
    Free Member

amplebrew

I’ve got more of a Columbo look going on to be honest 😀

Daffy

Collapsed umbrella?

Bregante

Lion.

jambourgie
    Free Member

🙂

Or a Liger for sure…

Inbred456
    Free Member

I know it’s crap and there is not much you can do. Put the money aside and get everything done before you sell. The only thing worse than this is to get it repaired then bump the car or have it scratched again. If it’s not down to the metal it’ll be fine over the winter.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Scratch recognition…car’ is closed to new replies.